Decreasing dual analog gamepad sensitivity

Evan Joanette

Folks,

I've got a space-flight sim I really would like to use my XFX Executioner
gamepad on, but even with the in-game joystick sensitivity at the lowest
level, the gamepad analog stick is much too twitchy.

Is there a Windows registry setting that can be tweaked to make the gamepad
less responsive? Or even a generic gamepad driver (with sensitivity
setting) that might be compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Evan

Jimmy S.

Hi Evan,

You could try to add that gamepad as a generic one
using Control Panel / Game Controllers. This should
especially work well if it's a gameport analog joystick.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| FYI, the game is Descent: Freespace.

Evan Joanette

Thanks, I've done this, but I don't see any options to decrease the
gamepad sensitivity.

I need something that tricks all the games I play into thinking that
when the analog pad is pressed fully in one direction, it's only
"half" way pressed.

This should prevent any overly rapid movements while playing flight
sims.

Evan Joanette

I'm currently not at my computer, but from what I read, this is
EXACTLY the kind of utility I need.

Thanks!

Evan

Evan Joanette

Downloaded the TweakDX2 last night and it sounds cool, but I keep
getting WinXP application errors when I try to run it.

SEND/DON'T SEND an error report!!!???
I'll send an error report all right...right up Billy's butt!

Evan Joanette

I've tried DXtweak2, which by all accounts should fix my problem
exactly.

Unfortunately, I am continually unable to fully run the application as
it errors out after detected the presence of my controller. I've
tried a CH (Thrustmaster?) utility that created the same error,
leading me to wonder if the drivers supplied both by Windows and XFX
for my Executioner gamepad are incompatible with Dxtweak2.

An interesting side note to this problem, and possible explanation of
the error is that my gamepad is reported as a PS2 (Playstation)
controller. Odd no?

Jimmy S.

Hi Evan,

That's quite odd indeed. I would be curious to know
what the folks who created that utility might suggest..

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I've tried DXtweak2, which by all accounts should fix my problem
| exactly.
|
| Unfortunately, I am continually unable to fully run the application as
| it errors out after detected the presence of my controller. I've
| tried a CH (Thrustmaster?) utility that created the same error,
| leading me to wonder if the drivers supplied both by Windows and XFX
| for my Executioner gamepad are incompatible with Dxtweak2.
|
| An interesting side note to this problem, and possible explanation of
| the error is that my gamepad is reported as a PS2 (Playstation)
| controller. Odd no?

Evan Joanette

Jimmy,

The Wingman Team that wrote DxTweak2 has been very helpful and
interested in the issue. They've offered to study my pad if I mail it
to them, but as they're in the US and I'm in Britain, the cost/benefit
ratio isn't worth it. If I really get bothered, I'll spend some
decent money and get a decent adjustable joystick.

I'm more ticked at XFX, a respectable graphic card and mobo
manufacturer for putting their name on a gamepad they don't support.
Although the hardware is decent, the software for this gizmo is
crappy. I prefer the Windows driver over what comes with the
gamepad...though it too causes a Dxtweak2 error.

Evan

Jimmy S.

Thanks for sharing that Evan, and KUDOS to the Wingman Team! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| Jimmy,
|
| The Wingman Team that wrote DxTweak2 has been very helpful and
| interested in the issue. They've offered to study my pad if I mail it
| to them, but as they're in the US and I'm in Britain, the cost/benefit
| ratio isn't worth it. If I really get bothered, I'll spend some
| decent money and get a decent adjustable joystick.
|
| I'm more ticked at XFX, a respectable graphic card and mobo
| manufacturer for putting their name on a gamepad they don't support.
| Although the hardware is decent, the software for this gizmo is
| crappy. I prefer the Windows driver over what comes with the
| gamepad...though it too causes a Dxtweak2 error.
|
| Evan
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message | > Hi Evan,
| >
| > That's quite odd indeed. I would be curious to know
| > what the folks who created that utility might suggest..
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

pjp

I also have nothing but good things to say about the Wingman Team. They are
VERY active on their forums and I've often seen them go more than "that
extra mile" trying to resolve people's problems. Most other companies could
learn a lot about customer support from these guys especially considering
the forums are not even "officially Logitech".