Deceptive Practices: Huntersoft

Susan Bugher

Deceptive Practices: Huntersoft

Unknown Device Identifier is here:
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Unknown Devices is here:
http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

the author of Unknown Devices says his program has been stolen:
http://www.halfdone.com/SOTW/UnknownDevicesRip/

from that link:

<quote>
I wrote Jacques Dubois ( mailto:[email protected] )
at Huntersoft ( http://www.zhangduo.com )
</quote>

Please read the information below and look at alt.comp.freeware threads
that relate to this.

I see a pattern of deceit including posts to the Pricelessware List
button and alt.comp.freeware where the poster fails to mention his
vested interest.

I think checking into the known web sites and email addresses in more
depth would yield additional information . . .

Susan

============

The Pricelessware list includes:

WinDriversBackup Personal Edition
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#W125

<quote>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 08:38:26 +0000
From: "Jacques Dubois" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)

Dear Sir,

I found the software WinDriver Expert v1.70 on your website, however,
after I searched the Internet, I found the updated version of the
software, version 1.90.

I found four download links to WinDriver Expert 1.90,

http://www.zhangduo.com/drvexp19.zip
http:/www.zhangduo.com/windriverexpert.zip
http://www.zhangduo.com/WindriverExpert.zip
http://www.zhangduo.com/drvexp.zip

Best REgards,
Jacque Dubois
</quote>

At the time I thought the person who sent this message was confused
(there is no WinDriver Expert on the Pricelessware site.)

Now I think it was an attempt to get the WinDriversBackup links changed
to the links in the email.

This message was posted to the newsgroup:

<quote>
Subject: Windriver expert freeware
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: 2002-07-25 08:17:23 PST

User's Manual for WinDriver Expert v1.70
(C) Copyright 2001-2002 Jacques ZHANG
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
Website: http://busitran.n3.net

SNIP
[License Agreement]
SNIP
[Contact the author]

E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
Language: English, French or simplified Chinese.

[Homepage]

http://busitran.n3.net

[Release Date]

June 6, 2002
another downloading link:http://site.voila.fr/magitran/windrvexpert.zip
</quote>

Note the @etang.com domain name above and in the posts below.

<quote>
Subject: Re: WinDriver Expert ripe off WinDriversBackup website??
Date: 10 Jun 2003 17:59:59 -0700
From: (e-mail address removed) (Jacques)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware

Hi, guys,

I have to say WinDriverBackup software produced by Jermar.com is a piece
of trash !!! The software extracts the driver files incompletely. You
might compare the number of extracted and backed up driver files,
WinDriver Expert usually extracts and backs up more than
WinDriverBackup, the trash !

I've put "WinDriver Expert" into my personal tool kit CD.

However, when restore drivers, we don't have to pay Zhang Duo,
Huntersoft, the registration fee $29.00. We might use the Hardware
Wizard provided by Microsoft Windows Control Pannel to restore each
drivers.

All in all, a great utility, I love "WinDriver Expert". If I had more
money, I would rather register the "My Drivers" for a change.

Do you agree ?

I don't know who copied who as far as web page is concerned. But I am
sure that "WinDriver Expert" is the first driver backup utility that
came to my mind.
</quote>

<quote>
From: "Hunter Parker <[email protected]>" <Hunter Parker
([email protected])
Subject: No one can steal your online articles anymore!!
Newsgroups: comp.software.shareware.announce
Date: 2001-06-11 19:00:38 PST

The Age of Copy and Paste on Internet is OVER!!

All your articles on Internet can be copied and pasted to other
websites, such as articles, news, research reports, and s
o on. The anonyms steal your hard working easily! Don't you angry?! What
do you do for that?

Though there are some encrpytion softwares, they can only encry HTML
source and protect scripts in webpages. As for prote
cting online articles, they are all useless.

Now, as it is said, the age of COPY and Paste on Internet will end!
No one can steal your online productions anymore!

Because "Homepage Content Guard" is coming, a wonderful shareware!
http://www.softcome.com

"Homepage Content Guard" is not only a latest tool for protecting
homepage content, but also a TEXT to HTML convertor. It
uses a NEW method basing on latest Internet Patent. After protected by
"Homepage Content Guard", homepages are viewed as
same as before. But when Internet users copy or print the protected
homepage, they can only get the garbage text.

* A super tool for protecting homepage content
* A batch tool to convert TEXT files to HTML files
* Deal with TEXT files in many languages
* Support and provide many templates
* Easy-to-use style interface

It's so Cool! :)

"Homepage Content Guard" can be used in almost all kinds of websites.
Such as online author's websites, news centers, new
spapers, research centers, and so on. It will take effect in protecting
online copyright.

Please visit http://www.softcome.net for more details.

Homepage Content Guard
http://www.softcome.com
http://www.softcome.net
News Release from webattack.com
http://www.webattack.com/get/hpcguard.shtml
6/6/2001

Homepage Content Guard 1.1
protect your site content

Homepage Content Guard is a new tool for protecting your web site text
content, not the HTML source, but the actual writt
en content. It uses a patented method to "encrypt" your content, which
still allows for regular viewing of the page in a
browser, but produces complete "garbage" when the user is attempting to
print or copy the page. It can be useful for many
web sites, such news centers, newspapers, research centers, and so on.
The program uses text input which it converts to
HTML based on a template.

Homepage Content Guard actually uses a rather simple but yet ingenious
approach. The text on that is displayed on the pag
es, is not really encrypted but actually contains extra characters
instead of spaces. These characters use the same color
as the page's background and are therefore invisible to the viewer.
However, when you copy or print the page, colors are
ignored and the entire text (including the previously invisible space
letters) is copied or printed, which produces a co
mpletely unusable result. At the same time, since it not really uses any
actual encryption, it is compatible with any kin
d of browser.
</quote>

I went to:

http://www.softcome.com/contact.htm

<quote>
(e-mail address removed)
This website and all products on it belong to Wang Hui, whose English
name is Hunter Wang. Please contact Mr. Wang about product development
or copyright.
</quote>

I wonder what relationship Huntersoft and Hunter Wang have.

Susan Bugher

longshotjohn7 said:
because of those who look on and do nothing. --Albert Einstein

Nice tag line. :)

The Huntersoft guy posted to alt.comp.freeware with information about a
program on his site and didn't identify himself as the author - that's
happened before with other posters - but a visit to the site usually
makes the relationship clear - and someone posts a follow-up post
mentioning the relationship - then there is likely to be a "oh, yeah,
did I forget to mention that" post from the author.

Our *friend* goes way beyond forgetting to mention a detail or two. IMO
he's crapped in our backyard and I'd like to make sure we call him on it
if he tries it again.

Here's another one of his posts as an example of what I mean. (His
program is WinDriver Expert. The PW2003 program is WinDriversBackup -
note that it's misspelled below - as WinDriverBackup)

</quote>
From: Jacques ([email protected])
Subject: WinDriver Expert backup driver files twice more
than WinDriverBackup
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: 2003-06-10 18:47:32 PST

Hey guys,

I found two freeware claiming to backup driver files. Let's see
their performance.

-= Driver Backup Freeware Utility Race =-

WinDriver Expert produced by Huntersoft,
http://www.zhangduo.com/driverbackup.html
WinDriverBackup 2002 by Jermars,
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm

-=======================================-

WinDriver Expert v1.90 v.s. WinDriverBackup 2002

OS: Windows 98/98se/ME/NT4/2K/XP/.net Windows
98se/ME/2K/XP
Size: 476 KB 2.44 MB
Installer: No, zip distribution Install Shield
installer
Driver backup: a bit slow fast
Backup Acurracy: Complete Incomplete
Driver restore: 3 ways to restore No restoration
Driver install: An embeded installer No installer
Driver deletion: Available Not Available
Driver Update: PNP ID matching with DB Unavailable
Driver Info: Available Not available
Info Printing: Not Available Available
User's Manual: Detailed with pictures Not well-designed
Tech Support: Within 24 hours 24/7 Not Clear
Web site: Well Designed Hacker Style
Shareware version: My Drivers v2.11 Jermar WDB Pro 2002
Shareware price: $29.00 $14.95
Trial period 15-day free trial 14-day free trial
Manufaturer: Huntersoft Jermar
Country: FRANCE CANADA

Tests with NVidia Geforece 4 MX 440SE Adapter driver
No. of backup files: 221 files 146 files

Tests with NVidia Geforece 2 MX 200 Adapter driver
No. of backup files: 191 files 121 files

Tests with Intel pro/100 VM NIC Adapter driver
No. of backup files: 8 files 5 files

Tests with Conexant HSF V92 56K Modem driver
No. of backup files: 19 files 7 files

Tests with SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio driver
No. of backup files: 12 files 5 files

Any idea ?
My choice is "WinDriver Expert v1.90", however, I will not buy the
Shareware version "My Drivers v2.11". Give you a tip, when you
reinstall your Windows system, you might use Windows Hardware Wizard
to restore your backed up driver files. However, if you don't want to
go into such technical operations, pay Huntersoft $29 for a
registration for the Shareware version. Well, I will never pay them.
</quote>

I think it would be a very good idea to put a little information on the
Pricelessware site - to let him know we don't appreciate these tactics.

Comments please.

Susan

Blinky the Shark

Susan said:
longshotjohn7 wrote:
Nice tag line. :)
The Huntersoft guy posted to alt.comp.freeware with information about a
program on his site and didn't identify himself as the author - that's
happened before with other posters - but a visit to the site usually
makes the relationship clear - and someone posts a follow-up post
mentioning the relationship - then there is likely to be a "oh, yeah,
did I forget to mention that" post from the author.
Our *friend* goes way beyond forgetting to mention a detail or two. IMO
he's crapped in our backyard and I'd like to make sure we call him on it
if he tries it again.

I think it would be a very good idea to put a little information on the
Pricelessware site - to let him know we don't appreciate these tactics.

Or just vote his stuff off the list.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Deceptive Practices: Huntersoft

I see a pattern of deceit including posts to the Pricelessware
List button and alt.comp.freeware where the poster fails to
mention his vested interest.

Other newsgroups as well. There is no doubt that the Jacques who
posts here and elsewhere recommending various Hunter Software
products is Zhang Duo himself. See

<http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&output=gplain>

From: (e-mail address removed) (Zhang Duo)

From his posting history, it looks like he googles for mention of
his products and jumps into threads about them. Hi Zhang!

Was his IP recorded when he clicked on the PL button to try to
fool you into linking to his scumware?
I think checking into the known web sites and email addresses in
more depth would yield additional information . . .

I looked. Jacques used to post from Fudan University in Shanghai,
which is the address on zhangduo.com's registration record. Now he
posts from Beijing. Etang.com's admin contact is in Shanghai.
I wonder what relationship Huntersoft and Hunter Wang have.

Harder to pin this one. Wang Hui/Hunter Wang registered his site
to a Beijing address. The "Hunter Parker <[email protected]>"
message you quoted was submitted via a web interface. Appears to
have come from Australia, but that may just be where the web
interface was.

burnr

I think it would be a very good idea to put a little information on the
Pricelessware site - to let him know we don't appreciate these tactics.

Comments please.

Susan
I think it's a good idea to mention it. I have removed the listing from
NetShark Downloads. I'm in the process right now looking for any other
listings from this crew. If and when found, they will be removed as well.
This was an unexpected and welcome benefit of this ng, finding this out.
Very kewl! :)

R.L

Nice tag line. :)

The Huntersoft guy posted to alt.comp.freeware with
information about a program on his site and didn't identify
himself as the author - that's happened before with other
posters - but a visit to the site usually makes the
relationship clear - and someone posts a follow-up post
mentioning the relationship - then there is likely to be a
"oh, yeah, did I forget to mention that" post from the
author.
Our *friend* goes way beyond forgetting to mention a detail
or two. IMO he's crapped in our backyard
<snipped on quoted deceptive post>

What a shame!
and I'd like to
make sure we call him on it if he tries it again.

Sure do.
I think it would be a very good idea to put a little
information on the Pricelessware site - to let him know we
don't appreciate these tactics.

Comments please.

SECOND! COMPLETELY!

For those who did not see the thread on "Unknown Device
Identifier v1.60", here is a summary:

Here is what Huntersoft have done:

- Stole the exact whole webpage design of WinDriversBackup to
advertise his own software call WinDriverExpert (I posted
about it a few months ago in this group, and now the page had
changed after the orginal author complaint).

- Stole an entire program from ANOTHER author (called Unknown
Device), and called it Unknown Device Identifier, advertises
it as his own, and makes no reference to the orginal author.
Huntersoft is STILL distributing the program as its own
program even after the author of Unknown Device started to
complain a few months ago.

- Huntersoft pretended to be users to post message about his
own programs here, not only that, but also to trash his
competitor.

- While he had stolen the content of other's website, he
operate ANOTHER company with a different name to sell a
program, claiming that the program would prevent internet user
being able to copy content from one's homepage - (that is
great, he poisoned everybody and now is pretending to be the
lifesaver, selling you the antidote himself, great business!).

THIS GUY HAS NO ETHICS, like a "con-man" in the field playing
in our backyard, who knows how many victims will there be in
the future and how many more programs he is going to steal
(and I would not be surprise if in the future he decided to
start cheating his users with other means)!

Susan Bugher

Blinky said:
Or just vote his stuff off the list.

read it again: he's claiming his program is better than the
Pricelessware program.

Here's another one of his posts as an example of what I mean. (His
program is WinDriver Expert. The PW2003 program is WinDriversBackup -
note that it's misspelled below - as WinDriverBackup)

Susan

Susan Bugher

»Q« said:
From his posting history, it looks like he googles for mention of
his products and jumps into threads about them. Hi Zhang!

Was his IP recorded when he clicked on the PL button to try to
fool you into linking to his scumware?

Is this what you're after?

Susan

Susan Bugher

R.L said:
SECOND! COMPLETELY!
THIS GUY HAS NO ETHICS, like a "con-man" in the field playing
in our backyard, who knows how many victims will there be in
the future and how many more programs he is going to steal
(and I would not be surprise if in the future he decided to
start cheating his users with other means)!

Hi RL,

Thanks again for giving the group a heads-up in the "Unknown Device
Identifier v1.60" thread. I felt we ought to give the guy his very own
thread - with the Huntersoft name prominently featured. :)

Susan

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Was his IP recorded when he clicked on the PL button to try to fool
you into linking to his scumware?

Is this what you're after?

Yep, thanks. Fwiw, that's

inetnum: 218.78.0.0 - 218.83.255.255
netname: CHINANET-SH
descr: CHINANET Shanghai province network
descr: Data Communication Division
descr: China Telecom
country: CN

But I think you already knew it was him. ;)

Alan

Susan Bugher wrote:
I think it would be a very good idea to put a little information on
the Pricelessware site - to let him know we don't appreciate these
tactics.

Comments please.

I certainly agree Susan. I think quite specific information (program
name, author, site, link) of where NOT to go would certainly NOT be out
of place. Clearly, the author has gone beyond the rip off, and has
deliberately tried to generate a confusion between the programs. I must
confess, it's worked here ;-) - I can't figure which end is up now! But
I think PL would be a most appropriate place for explicit clarification.

Susan Bugher

»Q« said:
Fine with me. If his ripoffs of two freeware programs and the posts
he makes here weren't enough, imo that "suggestion" he made to you
via the PL submit button alone is so far out of line that he
deserves his own page at pricelessware.org. And hopefully giving him
one would discourage other people from earning a place in the PL
Hall of Shame.

I'd also add a link from the WinDriversBackup entry to the
Zhang/Jacques info as well, to help prevent people from confusing it
with Zhang's ripoff of it.

Hi "Jacques"! Enjoying this thread are you?

A link on the PL WinDriversBackup description is a very good idea. I'll
wait a day or so to make sure we have a consensus before uploading a
page.

If anyone has information to add please post it ASAP.

If anyone wishes to dissent feel free to do so.

"Jacques", we *will* be watching for posts from you. ;)

Susan

Susan Bugher

Alan said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

I certainly agree Susan. I think quite specific information (program
name, author, site, link) of where NOT to go would certainly NOT be out
of place. Clearly, the author has gone beyond the rip off, and has
deliberately tried to generate a confusion between the programs. I must
confess, it's worked here ;-) - I can't figure which end is up now! But
I think PL would be a most appropriate place for explicit clarification.

I kept getting cross-eyed this afternoon as I followed various threads
and looked at different web sites. It is hard to keep things straight.

"Jaques" left the "s" out of the PW2003 WinDriversBackup program name -
perhaps in case the author of that program watches for posts with the
name spelled properly - so that was yet one more name variation to look
for.

we'll just keep looking . . .

could get to be a long web page.

Susan

Susan Bugher

burnr said:
I think it's a good idea to mention it. I have removed the listing from
NetShark Downloads. I'm in the process right now looking for any other
listings from this crew. If and when found, they will be removed as well.
This was an unexpected and welcome benefit of this ng, finding this out.
Very kewl! :)

Thanks - and if you find more information - please post it here.

Susan

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Was his IP recorded when he clicked on the PL button to try to
fool you into linking to his scumware?

Is this what you're after?

Yep, thanks. Fwiw, that's

inetnum: 218.78.0.0 - 218.83.255.255
netname: CHINANET-SH
descr: CHINANET Shanghai province network
descr: Data Communication Division
descr: China Telecom
country: CN

But I think you already knew it was him. ;)

Also, there are at least two places that list (e-mail address removed)
as an e-mail address of Zhang Duo.

<http://www.zdnet.de/downloads/programs/t/l/de0DTL-wc.html>

<http://www.torry.net/samples_software.htm>

torry.net has a downloadable piece of code he wrote (or stole, who
knows?). Jaques/Zhang posted here in a.c.f about it, mentioning that
he wrote it.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Jacques)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Freeware Windows Server software
Date: 12 Jun 2003 06:59:01 -0700

Hey Dude,

Last year I wrote a simple Web Server (HTTP) and FTP Server
software and uploaded the EXE file and the source code to
Torry. You might download my homemade software called
"PC2Server", turn your PC to a Server.

The description page,
http://www.torry.net/samples_software.htm

The EXEcutable file and the Delphi 6 source code combined,
http://www.torry.net/samples/samples/soft/pc2server.zip

Have a nice day !

Jacques

The readme file inside pc2server.zip is

I once in a while plan to write a HTTP WebServer and FTP
Server, and try to combine them together.

Now you see, in this zip package, this is what I have done.
Easily start the web service and ftp service.

The source code is included, however, you should install ICS
component before compiling.

Anyone can use and modify the source code.

No more to say, visit often my website to find more,

http://www.zhangduo.com

Zhang Duo
(e-mail address removed)

So when posting here under the name Jacques, he does not /always/ try
to hide the fact that he's Zhang Duo. Many Chinese people who operate
in the west also take a European name; that much isn't a problem. The
problem with "Jacques" (well, one of the many problems) is that he has
frequently pushed Hunter Software products here without saying he owns
Hunter Software.

Susan Bugher

Below is a rough draft of the text for the HunterSoft web page.

I would appreciate comments from the group either on or off-list (remove
the whoi (in front of my name) to email me).

Would someone or several someones like to help with this off-list. I do
not want to post a URL for the web page until it's final.

Susan

draft - HUNTERSOFT ALERT WEB PAGE

This is an alert to software users, newsgroup participants,
freeware/shareware sites and the general public in regard to:

HunterSoft http://www.zhangduo.com

Jacques Dubois (e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed) (Jacques)
Jacques ([email protected])

HunterSoft has copied and used another site's web pages on the
Huntersoft site.

HunterSoft has copied a software program and offered it as their own
product on the Huntersoft site and on freeware/shareware sites.

HunterSoft has posted newsgroup comments about their products and other
software while concealing their own vested interest. These posts did not
simply omit pertinent information. They are clearly intended to deceive.

HunterSoft attempted to redirect a Pricelessware program's links to the
HunterSoft site by sending a deceptive email to the Pricelessware site's
feedback address.

DOCUMENTATION:

Website Plagiarism
alt.comp.shareware.authors - June 2003

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...ubject=Website%20Plagiarism&lr=&num=100&hl=en

Program theft:

The author of Unknown Devices says his program has been stolen. We think
he's right.

Unknown Devices is here:
http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

information about the alleged ripoff is here:
http://www.halfdone.com/SOTW/UnknownDevicesRip/

and here:
http://www.majorgeeks.net/vb/showthread.php?threadid=18044

The HunterSoft program - Unknown Device Identifier - is here:
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

========

Deceptive newsgroup posts:

We have not found any newsgroup posts from this address:
(e-mail address removed)

We have found 37 posts from: (e-mail address removed)

posting as: (e-mail address removed) (Jacques) and Jacques
([email protected])

This is the URL of a Google search for those posts:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:[email protected]&num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&filter=0

Following are copies of a few of those posts:

==============
add posts here
==============

Deceptive email to the Pricelessware link button:

The Pricelessware site lists several hundred programs. One of them is
WinDriversBackup.

An email was sent to the Pricelessware link button requesting a change
in the URL's for a program on the site named WinDriver Expert. There is
one program on the Pricelessware list with a similar name:
WinDriversBackup. The two programs are used for the same purpose and are
very similar.

The WinDriversBackup program is offered by Jermar Software Corp
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm . That is the web site whose web pages
were copied and used by HunterSoft.

We believe this was a deliberate attempt to redirect the links from the
WinDriversBackup program to the HunterSoft program.

email added here

Linking Huntersoft to the email addresses.

to be added

========