Decent deal on 9800 Pro

John

There's a guy on Ebay right now selling a bunch of brand new Radeon
9800 Pros, built by ATI at a pretty good price. I just got mine in the
mail yesterday and it's the real deal, works great, no problems. It's
just the card with a power cable, minus a box and manual. I paid $234
+ $25 shipping = $259.

Someone in another thread said cards made by ATI include "102" in the
part number. Well I checked and the number on my card does indeed
begin with a 102.

Here's the link (the seller's ID is "bully_jj"):

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...yout=3&from=R10&sacategory=40156&BasicSearch=

Skid

I'm not knocking it, if your card runs at standard Pro speeds that's not a
bad deal. But to my knowledge, no built-by-ATI cards are sold outside the
retail package. It's either an OEM powered-by card or a returned card being
sold as new.

Skid said:
I'm not knocking it, if your card runs at standard Pro speeds that's not a
bad deal. But to my knowledge, no built-by-ATI cards are sold outside the
retail package. It's either an OEM powered-by card or a returned card being
sold as new.

Well I've run some benchmarks and so far, so good. It places right
near the top with the Aquamark 3 demo (as compared to other 9800 Pro
results online). No complaints yet.

Skid

John said:
"Skid" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Well I've run some benchmarks and so far, so good. It places right
near the top with the Aquamark 3 demo (as compared to other 9800 Pro
results online). No complaints yet.

That's great. I simply wanted to point out that no card sold without the
retail box is a new built-by ATI. Glad you got your money's worth, but I do
think that seller's eBay ads are misleading.

John

Skid said:
That's great. I simply wanted to point out that no card sold without the
retail box is a new built-by ATI. Glad you got your money's worth, but I do
think that seller's eBay ads are misleading.

Well I just checked ATI's website here...

http://apps.ati.com/102lookup/index.asp

....and typed in the BIOS part number from my card. It then returned
the results as a "BUILT BY ATI Product Part Number" and listed Radeon
9800 Pro.

Retail box or not, I'd say it was indeed built by ATI. If you ask me,
they're dumping their inventory of Radeon 9800 Pros in anticipation of
the new chipset this March or April. It makes sense when you consider
the 9800XT is the new "flavor" of 9800, and since there's no need for
two of them they're getting rid of the surplus Pros cheap. Fine by me!