DC Freezing Event ID: 1000 Return value (2146)

G

Symptoms: The DC that logs this event freezes all services - in other words, no print services, name resolution, mail, etc. are available. When I try to log on as Administrator and/or my account, I get an error indicating that I have supplied the wrong credentials at which point I have to reboot the server. When the server comes back up, I log in and see the Userenv error below

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

I have been receiving this error sporadically - it doesn't appear to be releated to W32time, NICs, or DNS. I have only one DC and one member server on the domain

Event Type: Erro
Event Source: Useren
Event Category: Non
Event ID: 100
Date: 12/05/200
Time: 2:00:05 P
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTE
Computer: ST-ANTHON
Description
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (2146).

K

Karl

Have you properly setup your DNS?

use NSLOOKUP to see if your DNS is properly resolving your domain / PC's

99% of the time, AD / domain issues are DNS related

G

DNS is correctly configured (nslookup resolves properly). This is a (seemingly) random occuring event. There are no other errors in any of the logs that are occuring at the same times as this one. Any other suggestions?

Ask a Question