Date and time errors in Windows Mail

Hoff54

My mail seems to register itself in the US, yet I'm in Australia. The dates
sent/received are always wrong, I can even send things on tomorrow's date.
How can I correct this? The PC time is OK, just the mail

Arber

Hoff54 said:
My mail seems to register itself in the US, yet I'm in Australia. The
dates
sent/received are always wrong, I can even send things on tomorrow's date.
How can I correct this? The PC time is OK, just the mail

Gary VanderMolen

The time stamp on emails needs two pieces of information:
the correct local time, and the time zone you are in. It sounds like you
have the wrong time zone. Right-click on your time display, select
Adjust Date/Time, Change time zone. After changing the time zone
you will have to correct the clock time.

R. C. White

Hi, oake55.

Messages posted via the web interface are always shown in Microsoft time..
That is, at GMT -0700, the US Pacific time zone, which is correct for
Redmond, Washington, where Microsoft's home office is. (Or at -0800 when
Redmond is not on Daylight Saving Time.)

The time stamp on your post is:
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:22:01 -0700

It shows in MY WLMail Sent column as 4/16/2009 8:22 AM - because I'm in
Texas, in the Central time zone, GMT -0500.

Both times are correct - when viewed through the proper hourglass. :^}

Messages posted with Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express -
or another newsreader - will show the actual time, based on the sender's
system clock and time zone setting.

Where (in the world) are you, oake55?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Gary VanderMolen

I'm a bit confused by your problem statement. I don't know what is meant by
"full view". Are you saying that the time stamp of a message as shown in the
message list pane is different ("hours earlier") from the time stamp it displays
when you open the message? That seems very strange.
I don't how to jibe your mention of "hours earlier" with "delayed by hours".

I am not able to verify your computer's time zone setting since you posted
via the web interface. Are you able to post to this newsgroup via the
"Microsoft Communities" in your Windows Mail? That would allow me
to check your settings.

oake55

Sydney, Australia. And I am using Windows Mail - hence the posting to this
community. Let me know if you need anything more please. I am baffled.

R. C. White

Hi, oake55.

It's not a question of what I need. YOU are the one with a problem and
we're just trying to help you solve it. ;^}

What is your Time Zone setting?

As Gary said, click the clock in the lower right corner of your screen. It
should pop up a window showing your current time. At the bottom there is a
line that says, "Change date and time settings" (or something similar; I'm
using Win7). Click this and in the next window, click Change time zone...
On the drop-down menu, scroll way down to "Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney", UTC
+1000. Then click OK to go back to the Date and Time display and make sure
it shows the correct time where you are, then OK your way back to the
Desktop.

If you have further problems, click here:

That click should start Windows Mail and connect you to this same Newsgroup,
but using the newsreader interface, rather than the web-based interface.
Find THIS thread and this message. Then Reply to the Group (Ctrl+G) and
type a message to us and Send it. In your message, please tell us what time
it is in Sydney then. This way, we will be able to read the header codes on
your post and see the time settings on your machine.

Many of us regulars here much prefer the newsreader to the GUI interface.
Try it for a day or two. You might like it better, too. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

oake55

I can't reply in Communities since when I try it comes up with an email
address that is @NoMail.Invalid.

Here is the message I tried to post.

I am saying the message time in the list pane view shows a time hours
earlier than the time it was actually sent. I have asked the sender what time
they sent it to confirm and know that some were sent during working hours yet
show 1 or 2 am as delivery time.
I am also saying that delivery is delayed by several hours, not always, but
regularly. Again I have checked with people to confirm.
I am also saying that when you open the message it shows an accurate time
stamp
for when it was actually sent.
My date and timezones are correct on the laptop - so I am really confused.

I agree it is strange.

R. C. White

Hi, St Michael's Knights.

OK! ;<) Your latest post, using Windows Mail, shows Sydney time, not
Redmond time in the headers:
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:06:16 +1000

Yes, that looks to be correct for Sydney. My Message List shows that it was
Sent on 4/19/2009 at 3:06 AM (Texas Time), which translates to the same
time.

In Windows Mail, look at a message in the Reading Pane and press
<Ctrl>+<F3>. The Headers for that message should pop up on your screen. If
that message was one you sent using WM, the "Date" (usually the 5th line
from the top, but it can vary) should be as I quoted above. But if the
message was posted in Communities, the "Date" line will show as Redmond
time - at -0700 rather than +1000. (Or look at the message mac posted from
London using Summer time, GMT/UTC +0100.)

With that information, do the times in your message list look correct now?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

St Michael's Knights

Here is that message header in WM Communities. Exactly as it should be.
..
From: "St Michael's Knights" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Date and time errors in Windows Mail
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:06:16 +1000

However - life is never easy! In the preview pane the "Sent" time for "Sent
Items" is correct. It is only emails in the "Inbox" that still have
incorrect times. Go figure!!

St Michael's Knights

OK I have done so, and I can now confirm that most of my messages were
apparently Sent several hours after they were Received! Except for the
ones that were sent three to four hours before they were received.

In other words, I am stuffed if I understand this! LOL.

What I really mean is that this confirms what I have said.

St Michael's Knights

That is understood Gary. What I have is emails that in the Window pane view
show incorrect received time, some before and some after they were actually
sent. This only applies to the Inbox, and we have confirmed the time
settings on the laptop.
We have also confirmed there is often a considerable delay between when they
were actually sent, and when they were received.
Any ideas what I do now?

Regards,

Oake55

You have no control over the Sent time stamp, which is created by the
sender's email program.

mac

St Michael's Knights said:
That is understood Gary. What I have is emails that in the Window pane
view show incorrect received time, some before and some after they were
actually sent. This only applies to the Inbox, and we have confirmed the
time settings on the laptop.
We have also confirmed there is often a considerable delay between when
they were actually sent, and when they were received.
Any ideas what I do now?

Regards,

Oake55

Contact your ISP, I guess that it is their Server that is possibly set to
the incorrect time?

Gary VanderMolen

Delays can be caused by any mail server along the path from the
sender to the recipient. To pinpoint the exact server where the
delay took place, I would have to see the complete headers of a
delayed message.