Windows Vista Data Structure///

Reaction score
first of all I apologise if this is posted in the wrong forum I am not quite sure where this belongs,

Hi,
I've recently ordered a high end custom pc and I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about optimising file structures and organisation of data etc.

- i'm running VISTA on a 74 gig Western Digital Raptor HDD (keeping it fast as possible)
- + one 500 gig HDD dedicated for data

+ the option of a few external HDDs for backups / extra storage space.

----

My concern is keeping my data organised / easy to backup / while retaining a fast running OS for as long as possible.

----
My main user habbits are pretty standard but I see it falling into three catergories;
(i work unprofessionally with photography/graphic design/film/music etc) + High end gaming

WEEKLY BACKUP
- documents / work
- visual / reference images/ photo sets / work
- audio / rares/remixes/ work
+ extras

MONTHLY++ BACKUP
- media / work / film_video / rares/
- photo sets.
- rare applications
- audio / itunes / album backups / work

NO BACKUP required
- games/applications
- + extras

so essentially I would have roughly three sectors to put data in, be it partioned or on separate drives etc.

if anyone has any ideas about ideal structures or any links to guides on this topic (or software to analyse + show types of data vs size + location)

if you could write me back I would really really appreciate it! thanks a lot guys.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Simply put, I'd divide the 500Gb disk into 3 sections, sized to suit your needs, then backup/store as required. For those really important files I'd back up daily.

It may also be worth backing up saved games and profiles.

Other ideas:

Software to backup the Operating System, such as Acronis true Image or Nortons Ghost.

An external 750Gb hard drive to backup up everything on the internal 500Gb drive and the created OS backup.

For partitioning you could use software such as Partition Magic or maybe Vista Disk management has the facility to partition, I don't know as I'm not familiar with Vista.

As far as I'm aware there is no software to optimise the backup/storage process and if there is, imo it would probably be a waste of money. The management/storage/backup of data is, imo, a human thing :)

Ask a Question