Cycle Safety Helmets

Reaction score
Cycle Safety Helmets so are they worth wearing or just for nerds?

Well my brother in law came off his mountain bike yesterday whilst out cycling.
The damage to him is broken nose, 2 black eyes, various stitches over his body.
Bruised ribs, concussion and multiple cuts over his body.
And wearing a cycle helmet saved his life!!!

It's not a fashion accessory so wear it properly, if your on a motorbike and hit you head whilst wearing a helmet you are saved by it, so why not make it mandatory for those of pedal cycles???

Sorry for the rant.:blush:

Reaction score
I agree, Although I don't own one. I don't go out on my bicycle very often at all.

My Son owns one. He is 6 and uses it for his Scooter. I insist he wears it and he doesn't mind at all. In fact I don't even have to remind him now it's second nature when we go out

Yep they do make a difference. Wear a Lid

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I very rarely cycle on roads, mostly trail riding. But when I do cycle I wear a Rampage Pro full face helmet. The thing that winds me up about cyclists and helmets is people just go pick the first thing they see and they are normally ill fitting. I see so many women cycling with the helmet sort of on the back of their heads. Not really going to do much when you fall.

My next investment is going to be a chest and back protector. Overkill some might say, but well worth it if you have ever had broken ribs before.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't know why you would want to deprive the organ donor service of spare parts by wearing a helmet?

Aren't you not referred to as, the two-wheeled donor service ?

sheesh selfish! :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I don't know why you would want to deprive the organ donor service of spare parts by wearing a helmet?

Aren't you not referred to as, the two-wheeled donor service ?

sheesh selfish! :)

Laughing.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
By eck as like our kid the only people who wear protective helmets are soft southern jessies.

I'm from an age where we didn't have to wear helemts on our motorcycles and doing 80mph in the rain, in the dark, down a country lane without head protection is SO exhilarating :)

And pay heed to master Mucks' assertation, you know he makes sense :)

I don't wear a helmet on my push bike.

But I should do. Really :blush:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've got a Fox flux trail lid for tame trails and got a new Urge enduromatic for bike park wales :D

Also some gloves and knee pads just incase, but unless I got into full downhill then I'll stear clear of elbow and chest protection.

It should be illegal for people to ride trails like cannock, sherwood pines, dalby etc without a helmet.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
By eck as like our kid the only people who wear protective helmets are soft southern jessies.

I'm from an age where we didn't have to wear helemts on our motorcycles and doing 80mph in the rain, in the dark, down a country lane without head protection is SO exhilarating :)

And pay heed to master Mucks' assertation, you know he makes sense :)

I don't wear a helmet on my push bike.

But I should do. Really :blush:

Down with the Nanny State.
zorro.gif

Riding a motorcycle without a lid is great in sunny weather but awful in lousy weather. :thumb:

"By eck as like our kid the only people who wear protective helmets are soft southern jessies." real propper jessies, even the lassise laugh at em. :lol:

Mind you it does make sense to wear a lid on a bike or a motorcycle these days what with all the traffic and all
stretcher.gif

Reaction score
If you are riding a pedal cycle & hit you head on the tarmac at 20mph what happens?
You can end up dead or with brain damage, but hey you only live once so who cares?
Well if my brother in law had not been wearing a cycle helmet he would now be dead!
And he was only doing 15mph when he came off and his head hit the tarmac full on!

Simples really!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's little known but from birth for the first seven years of my life I was raised by an ancient tribe of Sioux Native Americans in a remote part of the USA.

The resident witch doctor took one look at me and named me 'Runs With Scissors'.

Quite apt, as things turned out ;)

CSB

Reaction score
I wear a helmet to bed in case the Mrs elbows me :lol: .... joking of course although I'd like to hear from anyone who really does, cos us men do take a beating from fidgety women during the night.

I've had a bike helmet for ages but never use it because the bike stays in the shed haha. I usually go running inbetween my gym sessions which is much nicer now it's starting to get warmer and lighter. I'm very serious about my training.

Deffinitely worth wearing a helmet when on the roads. Have you seen some of the drivers the police miss on a daily basis?

Reaction score
:eek:You have also got to thiink of the emergency services we would rather pick up a live one and not a corps, Also the poor copper that has to deliver the message to the now dead person's mother, father or wife and children. How many times do you see a family out for a ride and all the children wearing helmets but the parents, Oh no they are impervious to head injuries and also not a good example to their kids.:mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That ancient tribe of Sioux Native Americans thought so much of Flops that they have a website dedicated to him. An they have created a true to life video game about his life.

http://www.runningwithscissors.com/main/

Laughing.gif

That's my kind of site :D

Any site including this disclaimer has my vote, hee hee

This site contains content not approved for consumption by children, senators, religious leaders and/or other easily damaged psyches, those seeking to enhance or establish political careers and/or possessed of delusions of grandeur. If accidentally exposed, flush eyes with cold water and induce vomiting. If irritation persists, sit quietly and watch PBS. Not for internal use. This site and its related products/propaganda are GUARANTEED not to make you go blind, masturbate (and THEN go blind), become a social liability, induce you to act out atrocities that you would otherwise never indulge in, or burn eternally in hell. Running With Scissors accepts NO responsibility for any and all random acts of stupidity or violence committed by losers who may blame popular entertainment media and/or sugary snack foods for causing their inherent basic lack of control. You're on your own. Thank you and good night.

Oh, don't wear safety goggles when using an angle grinder, you really don't want to miss the exquisite pleasure of having a metal splinter enter your pupil and blind you :)

You know it makes sense ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Darn it I will think of you every time I play Postal now :lol:

An don't forget folks. don't wear ear tectors when using power tools as you really do not want to miss out on the permanent sound of the sea ringing in your ears for eternity.
The sound of silence is overrated. ;)

Last edited: