cut-and-paste

harry gould

A puzzle: if I attempt to cut-and-paste all or part of
an email or other document into Word 2003 or Wordpad,
instead of the required text there appears a symbol in
the form of a small black square with a solid red square
inside: . It appears to be a graphic symbol because
it has "handles" and can be "stretched". I think it has
something to do with printing because the Letters EZP
used to appear at the top of the screen when this
happened - but not now.

I know that by saving the original text one can
eventually move it to the desired spot but, please, why
won't cut-and-paste operate properly? It works in
Notepad and occasionally if I use contr/C and contr/V.

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Please proceed as follows to solve the issue in question.

Start Microsoft Word as follows:
1. Click Start -> Run
2. Type "winword.exe /a" (without quotes) to start Word without any
templates or add-ins.

See if the above method solves the issue. If the above method solves the
issue then go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs. Remove the
"Works Suite Add-in" and see the difference, Else follow as below:

Change the template that is attached to the damaged document to the global
template (Normal.dot). If the attached template is Normal.dot, quit Word,
and then rename Normal.dot. Restart Word, and then try to duplicate the
behavior. To change the template that is attached to the damaged document
to the global template, follow these steps:

1. Open the problem document.
2. On the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-ins.
3. If the Document template box lists a template other than Normal.dot,
click Attach.
4. In the Templates folder, click Normal (Normal.dot), and then click Open.

If the above method does NOT solve the problem then issue can be with the
following:
1. Normal.dot (Go to to Tools -> Macro ->Macros and see if any macros are
listed.)
2. Templace add-in (Go to to Tools -> Options -> File Locations. See the
entry of the startup folder. Close Word and navigate to the startup folder,
then move all the files to another location. Then copy the file to the
startup folder one-by-one and see that helps in resolving the issue.

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

- - From: "harry gould" <[email protected]>
- - Sender: "harry gould" <[email protected]>
- - Subject: cut-and-paste
- - Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:26:41 -0700