Crunching

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello All,
Have PC doing nothing most of the day, can't run at night - too noisy in bedroom (sorry, it's too noisy). How can I help? Saw one thread but it was closed.
Regards,
peahouse05

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi peahouse
happywave.gif
- no problem just running during the day, you can still make a good contribution
nod.gif

What are your system specs/OS and are you on 24/7 broadband?

I am assuming you are running Windows:

Firstly download the Boinc software version for your PC from HERE - version 5.4.9

Then go to the World Community Grid site and register as a member.

Select The PCReview Crew II as your team.

Then go back and install the boinc software (install as a single user), then when it asks you to link to the project - follow the instructions HERE at WCG after logging in.

Once done you should be up and running, there are a few little adjustments to be made later - but we can sort that out then.

Will be good to have you aboard - any problems just come back here, or PM me :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello peahouse,

post deleted ... ady can type faster

:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
We're not so fast now its night time over here - but I just can't seem to get to sleep :(

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
We're not so fast now its night time over here - but I just can't seem to get to sleep :(

The joys of being across the pond..... an early mosquito driven 9 pm here.

BTW I cant get over the pricing of the UK products. almost at the rate of I usd to 1 BPD

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
2.15 am here - but at least no mosquitos!

Yep we sure get fleeced over here - we seem to pay more than the rest of Europe too....

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
2.15 am here - but at least no mosquitos!

Yep we sure get fleeced over here - we seem to pay more than the rest of Europe too....

But Canada and UK share a common problem... VAT or GST here.

Reaction score
It's always been the same. We have a name for it

RIP OFF BRITAIN

It's never gonna change i'm afraid

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello Ady,
Specs are:-Asrock K8NF4G MB, Sempron 3400+, 1Gb 400DDR RAM, XPSP2 on 40GB master HDD and Suse 10.1 on 40GB slave HDD. Only have CD-ROM at the moment but want to upgrade to a DVD reader and CD writer, can you tell me the spec for this please (I am confused by all the =/- stuff)?
Have access to laptop with XPSP2 during the day so can run PC all day.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

Have 24/7 Broadband

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats a nice BOINC rig waiting there Ph. :thumb:

Can i suggest you start a new thread about the DVD upgrade. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
peahouse - you can crunch happily on both of those machines - I would suggest you install Windows version of Boinc on the main PC as you will probably find it easier to install than the linux version - just follow the instructions earlier, and any problems I will help you.

As regards getting a DVD reader and CD writer - you are better off just getting a DVD-RW (re-writer) as it will do everything (play CD/DVD's and write CD/DVD's).
If you are looking at doing disc-to-disc copying then get a DVD-ROM as well (it just plays CD/DVDs)

Don't worry too much about the +/- thing - its to do with the DVD disc format - all modern DVD writers can play and write to both.

Everyone with have an opinion, but the best make is probably Plextor (more expensive though) but all the following do good ones Pioneer/NEC/LG.

I use an NEC ND-3550A - you can get one online for around £25 - its been excellent :thumb:

Ask a Question