Critical Error Installing MMC 8.9 in W98SE

yawny

Hi all,

I'm getting the following critical error trying to install MMC 8.9
(the latest version on ATI's site) on my W98SE machine:

Unhandled Exception
Error #0x8002000B
Setup will now terminate

I have the latest drivers for my AIW Radeon
(wme-7-99-98-1-040712a-016504e), including DirectX 9.0b,
wme-catalyst-7-991-040224m-013831c, tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240,
wmencoder71.exe, and mmc-8-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe.

Any idea's as to why it won't install?? I've tried downloading
mmc-8-9-0-0 again but keep getting the same error.

Thanks for any help.

Paul Murphy

I'm using MMC 9.0, Cat 4.3 (all drivers together in one package version) and
DirectX 9.0c on Win98SE with one of my AIW Radeons (original 32 MB version)
and there seems to be no problems with that other than cosmetic corruption
along the top of the screen when library is running - a desktop refresh will
get rid of that though (MMC 9 under Win98 SE is not officially supported
however). If you're using anything newer than MMC 7.7 you'll need an MMC 8.1
CDROM or newer to upgrade the DVD Decoder from - what are you using for
that? You can find MMC 9 under the previous downloads for Win2k.

I've not seen that error before that you're getting - did you follow the ATI
installation instructions precisely (and most importantly, in the correct
order)? Any antivirus or other utilities running (including in the
background) at the time of installation - if so, stop them prior to
installing anything. Did you correctly uninstall the old version of MMC
first and reboot (its not reccomended to instal newer versions of MMC on top
of old).

Paul

yawny

yawny said:
[...]

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I followed the installation instructions
exactly. I uninstalled all ATI software from my system including
registry entries and started over. After a restart I closed all
programs except Explorer and Systray as per instructions.

I first reinstalled DirectX 9.0b and rebooted. Then wmencoder71.exe
and rebooted. Then tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240,
wme-7-99-98-1-040712a-016504e and rebooted. Then installed
mmc-8-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe and then finally mmc-8-9-0-0.

Still getting the same error as above when trying to install mmc8.9.
Don't know what the problem is. Anyone else care to offer
suggestions?? Thanks again for any help.

Paul Murphy

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I followed the installation instructions
exactly. I uninstalled all ATI software from my system including
registry entries and started over.
There's a possible problem point - what do you mean by "including registry
entries" - if that means you manually went into the registry and deleted
everything with ATI in it, then you likely have a damaged registry as even
without ATI hardware in a machine there will still be ATI entries in the
registry (well should be anyway). I've not seen anything on ATIs website
saying to remove all ATI entries from the registry - perhaps its something
I've overlooked or did you make up your own instructions for that part? I
note you installed the capture drivers before the rest of the ATI drivers,
you can instal the main Cat drivers then the WDM capture drivers and THEN
reboot (not between the 2 installs though), personally I just use the
All-In-One driver download under broadband connection - one double click
installs all the drivers. Not sure if it makes a difference but I installed
WMencoder7.1 after the catalyst drivers were installed (but before DAO).

What are you upgrading your MMC installation from? If you don't have an MMC
8.1 CDROM or newer, you won't be able to install an MMC DVD Decoder newer
than that in 7.7 - are you using the 7.7 decoder with MMC 8.9? I presume the
answer to my question about any utilities running at the time of
installation (including background apps such as antivirus and Norton
utilities apps etc) was you don't have any?

Paul

yawny

There's a possible problem point - what do you mean by "including registry
entries" - if that means you manually went into the registry and deleted
everything with ATI in it, then you likely have a damaged registry as even
without ATI hardware in a machine there will still be ATI entries in the
registry (well should be anyway). I've not seen anything on ATIs website
saying to remove all ATI entries from the registry - perhaps its something
I've overlooked or did you make up your own instructions for that part?
Thanks for your concern and assumption but...I'm very comfortable
editing the registry and just remove the ATI entries in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI Technologies
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies Inc.
I note you installed the capture drivers before the rest of the ATI drivers,
you can instal the main Cat drivers then the WDM capture drivers and THEN
reboot (not between the 2 installs though).
Instructions from the ATI installation package:

B) PRIOR to USING tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240.exe

We suggest the following installation order,

1- tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240.exe
2- DO NOT RESTART Windows
3- Recommended ATI Display Driver
4- RESTART Windows
Personally I just use the
All-In-One driver download under broadband connection - one double click
installs all the drivers.
It's not available for W98. The driver and control panel are in one
download...WDM is separate and optional.
Not sure if it makes a difference but I installed
WMencoder7.1 after the catalyst drivers were installed (but before DAO).
ATI instructions recommend installing wmencoder7.1 before MMC.
What are you upgrading your MMC installation from? If you don't have an MMC
8.1 CDROM or newer, you won't be able to install an MMC DVD Decoder newer
than that in 7.7 - are you using the 7.7 decoder with MMC 8.9?
Upgrading from 7.1 and yes, it was uninstalled before attempting the
upgrade. I'm not using the ATI DVD Decoder. I use Power DVD.
I presume the
answer to my question about any utilities running at the time of
installation (including background apps such as antivirus and Norton
utilities apps etc) was you don't have any?
I have numerous background programs running including Zone Alarm,
McAfee etc. All were closed except Explorer and Systray as per ATI
instructions.

Paul Murphy

Reply interspersed:
Thanks for your concern and assumption but...I'm very comfortable
editing the registry and just remove the ATI entries in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI Technologies
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies Inc.
I'm unsure at to whether they're the "native OS provided" entries or not -
were they not removed using the unistall feature of the drivers/MMC? I see
there's a utility on ATIs website called catalyst unistaller - I've never
used it though so cant comment on its effectiveness.
Instructions from the ATI installation package:

B) PRIOR to USING tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240.exe

We suggest the following installation order,

1- tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240.exe
2- DO NOT RESTART Windows
3- Recommended ATI Display Driver
4- RESTART Windows
Fair enough - both are acceptable ways (the main thing is not to reboot
immediately after the radeon drivers are installed before the WDM capture
drivers are also on the system ready to be picked up and installed. The
whole thing is avoidable with the all in one drivers.
It's not available for W98. The driver and control panel are in one
download...WDM is separate and optional.
You're right regarding the latest version - unfortunately ATI seem to have
made things difficult with this latest one where as in the last release, up
until a couple of weeks ago (4.3), everything was available (as an option)
in the one package. My email to ATIs webmaster will be on its way shortly!
ATI instructions recommend installing wmencoder7.1 before MMC.
That's right - before MMC, but still after all the drivers are installed.
Have you tried reinstalling WMencoder7.1 after the drivers are setup but
before MMC?
Upgrading from 7.1 and yes, it was uninstalled before attempting the
upgrade. I'm not using the ATI DVD Decoder. I use Power DVD.
I'm not familiar with getting this combination to work together but I
believe the latest version of MMC uses core technology present in Power DVD,
licenced from the same company. As to whether they work together
harmoniously, I don't know and will be unlikely to find out since MMCs DVD
Player does everything I need it to do for free - my MMC 8.1 CDROM was sent
to me by ATI in Ireland for free. This was couple of years ago and they now
no longer have the same presence..... and presents! I'm aware that the MMC
8.1 cdrom is still widely available for purchase relatively cheaply.
I have numerous background programs running including Zone Alarm,
McAfee etc. All were closed except Explorer and Systray as per ATI
instructions.
My post should have read "don't have any running in the background at the
time" instead of "don't have any" - it wasn't clear. By systray - if you
mean the system tray icons for these utilities are still present (as opposed
to just systray coming up in the close program window after a CTRL-ALT-DEL),
then you'll need to get rid of those icons too, as they signify things are
still running in the background.

Paul

yawny

I'm unsure at to whether they're the "native OS provided" entries or not -
were they not removed using the unistall feature of the drivers/MMC? I see
there's a utility on ATIs website called catalyst unistaller - I've never
used it though so cant comment on its effectiveness.
ATI registry entries are never completely removed when uninstalling
from Add/Remove Programs, even with the uninstaller utility that is
installed with the driver package. That's why I always peek just to
make sure...and they're always still there. They are not OS
provided...they are added when installing ATI software.
You're right regarding the latest version - unfortunately ATI seem to have
made things difficult with this latest one where as in the last release, up
until a couple of weeks ago (4.3), everything was available (as an option)
in the one package. My email to ATIs webmaster will be on its way shortly!
It is available in one download for XP...not for 98.
That's right - before MMC, but still after all the drivers are installed.
Have you tried reinstalling WMencoder7.1 after the drivers are setup but
before MMC?
Yep...same error.
I'm not using the ATI DVD Decoder. I use Power DVD.
I'm not familiar with getting this combination to work together but I
believe the latest version of MMC uses core technology present in Power DVD,
licenced from the same company. As to whether they work together
harmoniously, I don't know and will be unlikely to find out since MMCs DVD
Player does everything I need it to do for free - my MMC 8.1 CDROM was sent
to me by ATI in Ireland for free. This was couple of years ago and they now
no longer have the same presence..... and presents! I'm aware that the MMC
8.1 cdrom is still widely available for purchase relatively cheaply.
The mmc install gives me the error right after in configures Windows
Installer. It doesn't get to the part where I can choose which apps
get installed. Shouldn't matter whether I use ATI's DVD player or not.
My post should have read "don't have any running in the background at the
time" instead of "don't have any" - it wasn't clear. By systray - if you
mean the system tray icons for these utilities are still present (as opposed
to just systray coming up in the close program window after a CTRL-ALT-DEL),
then you'll need to get rid of those icons too, as they signify things are
still running in the background.
I'm also very familiar with the difference between the two. If I close
all programs except Explorer and Systray, there are no icons
displayed. Thanks for your help.

Paul Murphy

yawny said:
ATI registry entries are never completely removed when uninstalling
from Add/Remove Programs, even with the uninstaller utility that is
installed with the driver package. That's why I always peek just to
make sure...and they're always still there. They are not OS
provided...they are added when installing ATI software.
Well there's certainly a few ATI entries in my Registry before I even go
near a fresh install with ATI drivers and software - also many entries for
all sorts of other hardware thats never been near my PC. This is with the
OEM Win98SE CDROMs - don't know about the retail Win98SE CDROM - never used
it.
shortly!
It is available in one download for XP...not for 98.
Email has been sent - hopefully they won't discriminate against Win98 users
for much longer!
Yep...same error. Worth a try at least!

The mmc install gives me the error right after in configures Windows
Installer. It doesn't get to the part where I can choose which apps
get installed. Shouldn't matter whether I use ATI's DVD player or not.
Some of the TV Player functions (and possibly other programs) do rely on the
DVD Decoder so you may get problems with the wrong version.
I'm also very familiar with the difference between the two. If I close
all programs except Explorer and Systray, there are no icons
displayed. Thanks for your help.

At this point I'm stumped so unless anyone else has suggestions it would be
time to do the big backup/format/reinstall exercise - something you're no
doubt familiar with (judging from your previous comments/level of
understanding).

Paul