Critial Internet Explorer Bug

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The BBC reports that there is another critically serious flaw in Internet Explorer 7 and 8 (beta). Just as worrying is that many thousands of websites have been compromised with malicious code which can target this exploit.

As there is no patch yet (only temporary workarounds), it may be a good idea to use another browser for the time being (such as FireFox, Opera or Google Chrome). Although all browsers suffer from exploits and bugs at some point, this new IE7/8 hole is pretty serious.

"
Users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer are being urged by experts to switch to a rival until a serious security flaw has been fixed.

The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.

Microsoft urged people to be vigilant while it investigated and prepared an emergency patch to resolve it.

Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users."

Read more at the BBC.

Attachments

• ie8.jpg
    ie8.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,162
Reaction score
And i migrated to Firefox & Opera earlier this year after people here said it was better.
Think i made the right move!

Very bad for Microsoft though at a time when bad publicity is not needed!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been using IE7 around 80% of the time, but since this alert I've switched to FF. I supposed once I'm used to it I'll end up sticking with it ;)

It does seem to render this site quite a bit faster, so that's good :thumb:

Reaction score
I've had a few little pop ups todday on IE saying about debugging..Just reset IE7 earlier and haven't had any of the pop ups since..Been using FF£ about 80% of the time now for the last month or so...

Reaction score
Thank gawd they aint produced aVacuum cleaner
It wont suck
laughingsmiley.gif
Very well
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NEW YORK: The new version of the Firefox browser was downloaded over eight million times in its first 24 hours of release in what organisers claim
was a world record.

But the success was tempered by reports from a software security company that Firefox 3.0 contained a serious security flaw that potentially lets an attacker take over a PC if a user clicks on a booby-trapped link.

Within five hours after the official release, security tool vendor TippingPoint noted a "critical vulnerability" affecting Firefox 3.0 and 2.0 and reported it to Mozilla. TippingPoint researchers designated the error with a "high" severity rating.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good job this is FF 3.0.4 :D

I'm sure all browsers have holes that can be exploited, it's just a matter of time before they are found. Virus writers are getting damn crafty now that there are millions of $ to be made
wallbash.gif

I think my PC is now much less secure than 5 years ago, even with the latest Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, SW + HW Firewall plus a fully patched system!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, am using Google Chrome, its pretty neat actually, very fast, instant loading on any webpage/site, plus i can add which sites i visit most and when i start google chrome it opens them up on different tabs, pretty neat really.

Thanks again.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Surely this is some sort of scam or joke.

I have just done a fresh install of my Xp Pro with the original 2004 cd and on the set up screens I am told that this is the safest and most secure OS ever.

laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
... I am told that this is the safest and most secure OS ever.

laughingsmiley.gif
Yup. And Morris Marina is the most reliable automobile ever built.

happywave.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Am gonna stick with Google Chrome i think, i had igoogle as my homepage anyway on IE7, plus this is alot faster.

Other benefits, when browsing on my HPTC which is connected to my 37" HDTV it automatically scales the page to fit the screen where as IE7 didn't.

Also it spell checks as you type, pretty neato.

Reaction score
Will this patch work until the next flaw is found?
I started using firefox & opera after people here said they were more reliable.:thumb:

Ask a Question