Creating the DVD of Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Mazzaroc

HI

I have the DVD of Vista Ultimate 64-bit Retail with six editions of
Vista and I want to create a DVD of Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit Retail
with six editions of Vista SP1 so that, when I install the different
editions of Vista SP1, or when I create the different xml files with
WAIK, there are new entries "<Vista Editions> SP1>" and not the old
entries <Vista Editions>"

What is the proper procedure to do this work?

THANKS

BYE

Curious

Your Vista SP1 installation DVD does not contain six different versions of
Vista 64. It contains the CAB files required to install required to install
any one of the six versions and selects which files to install based on the
Product Key you supply.

Ian D

Curious said:
Your Vista SP1 installation DVD does not contain six different versions of
Vista 64. It contains the CAB files required to install required to
install any one of the six versions and selects which files to install
based on the Product Key you supply.

It's not based on the product key. You select your version
from a list of all versions on the DVD, then certify that that's
the product you bought. You don't need to enter the product
key to install Vista. It's only needed for activation, and you
can use a Vista installation for 30 days before activating it.
For activation, the product key must match the version installed.

Curious

I agree with you except to point out that it selects those files to install
which will create the version you selected. It does not have separate
copies of each version.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Ian,
It is based on the product key, if you enter the product key do you still
get the selection menu to choose the edition?
If you bypass entering the product key, setup doesn't know which edition to
install so it has to prompt you for the edition,
That selection box should only show when you do not enter the product key.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: "Ian D" <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Creating the DVD of Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
| >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:27:52 -0500
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

| >> Vista 64. It contains the CAB files required to install required to
| >> install any one of the six versions and selects which files to install
| >> based on the Product Key you supply.
| >>

| >It's not based on the product key. You select your version
| >from a list of all versions on the DVD, then certify that that's
| >the product you bought. You don't need to enter the product
| >key to install Vista. It's only needed for activation, and you
| >can use a Vista installation for 30 days before activating it.
| >For activation, the product key must match the version installed.

Ian D

Curious said:
I agree with you except to point out that it selects those files to install
which will create the version you selected. It does not have separate
copies of each version.

I see where you're coming from now. If you enter the product
key immediately, the installer will install the matching version.
If you don't enter the key, then you can choose the version.
I like the second method since there's no way you could get
an accidental activation before you're ready.

Vista has a different installation method. It does not build
an installation like XP. It copies a complete image with
all features (Ultimate?) to your hard drive. The file is
install.wim and is 2.4GB in size. That's why the file copy
stage takes a while. The whole DVD is 2.7GB in size, so there's
only 300MB of other support files on the disk. The final
version is built from the applicable components in the
image.