Creating El-torito image with two partition from Nero.

• Thread starter Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)
  • Start date
S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

XPe image preparation in TD:

1. Component "El-Torito CD". (Leave default number 1330924613 which represent ASCII string 'ELTO' or translated in hex 4F544C45)
2. EWF with RAM overlay configured trough registry only.
For this purpose you can use either my component "EWF RAM Registry - Based on ....." in which case you will have to disable
autoresolve dependencies because "El-Torito CD" component want to import component "Enhanced Write Filter" which beat the purpose of
my component.
Or better way for this case would be to use documentation that I have provided in zip file and do the changes by your self on
"Enhanced Write Filter" from TD. This way you can have autoresolve enabled.
http://www.xpefiles.com/a_file.cfm?custid=Components&fileid=ramewf.zip&groupName=Other
3. Some program for manipulating registry like reg.exe or regedit.exe.
Components that contain them:
"Registry Editor"
"Misc. Command Line Tools"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
6. One of "CD-Rom Drive" components.
7. XPe FBA must be done on C:.
- You have choice to use first partition on boot HDD.
- Or you can follow:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/community/community/tips/xp/rtpartin/default.aspx

Regardless of OS partition that you use in step 7 EWF must be configured to protect ARC path: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
since this will be protected partition when booted from CD.

Pre FBA disk preparations:

1. HDD with one partition formatted as FAT. (Preferably <700MB)
2. El-torito disk (created as described in this document from partition created in previous step) present during the FBA.
3. XPe image configured as mentioned above and copied to this partition.

Post FBA steps:
1. Use regedit or reg.exe to delete HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices with all entries from registry.
2. Enable EWF either trough registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EWF\Parameters\Protected\Volume0\Enabled 1
Or by using EWFMGR C: -enable
3. Shutdown computer gracefully by using.
c:\windows\fba\fba -shutdown
4. Record this partition on CD along with additional files.

Troubleshooting:
If you get BSOD 7B when booting from CD it might be related to problem with ntdetect.com in this case you will have to obtain fixed
version by contacting MS.

NERO usage for El-torito CD creation.
1. Select Make Bootable Disk option.
2. Select Bootable logical drive option, and select volume with XPe that you want to record on El-torito part of CD.
3. Go to next step. (Press New.)
4. Add files that you want to have on your CD.
5. Select recorder->Choose Recorder
6. Select Device "Image Recorder" and press OK.
7. Choose Burn option and then name file that will receive CD image.
8. Use HEX editor and find MBR sector placed by Nero. Go to 1B8 location (relative offset from MBR) and type 'ELTO' DiskID on that
position of hex representation depending on hex editor. You can make a simple app that will change this number if you need to
frequently burn new images.
9. From NERO. Choose option Burn image to Disk.
10. Choose image file.
11. Change back to real recording device driver so you can burn image on CD instead to image again.
12. Burn image.

Reason for this long procedure is because Nero creates MBR block that use DiskID 0 and El-torito or other win drivers can't use
DiskId 0.

Test CD that can be used for initial testing purposes and during XPe FBA.
You will need HDD partition that you have created for future XPe FBA. On this partition place files "ntldr." and following boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=50
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPe Test 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPe Test 2" /fastdetect

This will allow you to test if BIOS can boot your El-torito image. If you can't reach multi OS choice then you have done something
wrong.
PS: Don't forget to make this CD also by using above mentioned procedure in Nero.

If you have questions or comments please attach them directly to root of this thread for easier problem tracking.

Good luck,
Slobodan

G

GregG

Slobodan,

Doggone it, you're too fast or too good. Yesterday I was also
successful in creating a Nero XPe CD. After too many blind alleys, I
found the same changes needed from "standard" HD2ISO CD preparation.

First, as you indicate, one must write the Nero image to an ISO file
and change the disk signature to ELTO. The MBR is pretty easy to find
by repeat finds for the 55aa bytes ending the record. One can also
look for the string "Nero Boot". Second (and this tripped me two
weeks ago when I was first playing with the ISO files), it appears one
must use a Nero created 1st boot CD for FBA not one created by HD2ISO.
Appearantly EWF or ElTorito.sys is sensitive to changes in the CD
geometry between HD2ISO and Nero. Although I have not yet tried it, I
assume that will follow through to large Nero DVD boot partitions.

Also, a similar approach should work for other bootable CD & DVD
creators.

Anyway, thanks for your help. This should open a new horizon for many
of us to be freed from CD size limitations.

GregG

1. Component "El-Torito CD". (Leave default number 1330924613 which represent ASCII string 'ELTO' or translated in hex 4F544C45)
For this purpose you can use either my component "EWF RAM Registry - Based on ....." in which case you will have to disable
autoresolve dependencies because "El-Torito CD" component want to import component "Enhanced Write Filter" which beat the purpose of
my component.
Or better way for this case would be to use documentation that I have provided in zip file and do the changes by your self on
http://www.xpefiles.com/a_file.cfm?custid=Components&fileid=ramewf.zip&groupName=Other
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/community/community/tips/xp/rtpartin/default.aspx

Regardless of OS partition that you use in step 7 EWF must be configured to protect ARC path: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

2. El-torito disk (created as described in this document from partition created in previous step) present during the FBA.

Post FBA steps:
1. Use regedit or reg.exe to delete HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices with all entries from registry.
2. Enable EWF either trough registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EWF\Parameters\Protected\Volume0\Enabled 1

Troubleshooting:
If you get BSOD 7B when booting from CD it might be related to problem with ntdetect.com in this case you will have to obtain fixed

2. Select Bootable logical drive option, and select volume with XPe that you want to record on El-torito part of CD.
8. Use HEX editor and find MBR sector placed by Nero. Go to 1B8 location (relative offset from MBR) and type 'ELTO' DiskID on that
position of hex representation depending on hex editor. You can make a simple app that will change this number if you need to
10. Choose image file.
11. Change back to real recording device driver so you can burn image on CD instead to image again.
12. Burn image.

Reason for this long procedure is because Nero creates MBR block that use DiskID 0 and El-torito or other win drivers can't use
DiskId 0.

You will need HDD partition that you have created for future XPe FBA. On this partition place files "ntldr." and following boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPe Test 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XPe Test 2" /fastdetect

This will allow you to test if BIOS can boot your El-torito image. If you can't reach multi OS choice then you have done something
wrong.
PS: Don't forget to make this CD also by using above mentioned procedure in Nero.

If you have questions or comments please attach them directly to root of this thread for easier problem tracking.

Good luck,
Slobodan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Troubleshooting:

I made an unintentional error in this statement:

Problem is related to bugs in some BIOS-es that do not give correct information to ntdetect.com. So this problem is not related to
ntdetect.com as I said in my original statement.
MS made special hacked version of ntdetect.com to solve this particular problem. But these versions are not available in regular
releases.

Best regards,
Slobodan

G

Hi Slobodan,
Thanks for your valuable tips, but I have one question about
8. Use HEX editor and find MBR sector placed by Nero. Go to 1B8 location
(relative offset from MBR) and type 'ELTO' DiskID on that
position of hex representation depending on hex editor. You can make a
simple app that will change this number if you need to
Can you please explain me more about it, I got hex editor, should I open
ISO image or
NRB image to modify MBR to ELTO? I tried ISO image and could not see 1B8
Location.
Thank you
Anthony
Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) said:

my component.
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:

Post FBA steps:

Troubleshooting:

10. Choose image file.
12. Burn image.

DiskId 0.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]

wrong.

Good luck,
Slobodan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,

There is no ISO file anymore.
You have one image file created from Nero as described.

In that file you should search for MBR sector/block which length is 512 bytes.
bytes at position 1FE, 1FF are always 55 AA in hex respectively.
Also inside this 512 bytes you will find texts that you can search for like.
Error loading operating system
Missing operating system
Nero Boot-Loader

So what you need is to find this block in your file and change bytes on position 1B8, 1B9, 1BA, 1BB to 'E', 'L', 'T', 'O'

In my image MBR begging at offset 00059800 and bytes that need to be changed begin at offset 000599B8.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Anthony said:
Hi Slobodan,
ISO image or
Location.
Thank you
Anthony

my component.
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:

Post FBA steps:

Troubleshooting:

10. Choose image file.
12. Burn image.

DiskId 0.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]

wrong.

Good luck,
Slobodan

G

Hi Slobodan,
I am kind of slow person, forgive me for my stupid question, I have NRB
file (from Nero) and loaded by Hex Editor, I could not find MBR location or
position 1B8, 1B9, 1BA, 1BB? what did I miss? The below was how I made a NRB
file
Followed your instruction at steps
Then I used Save As to save to NRB image file
Then Used Hex Editor to open NRB image file
Is there any thing wrong?
Thank you very much
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Missing operating system
Nero Boot-Loader

So what you need is to find this block in your file and change bytes on position 1B8, 1B9, 1BA, 1BB to 'E', 'L', 'T', 'O'

In my image MBR begging at offset 00059800 and bytes that need to be changed begin at offset 000599B8.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Anthony said:
Hi Slobodan,
ISO image or
Location.
Thank you
Anthony

my component.
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:

Post FBA steps:

Troubleshooting:

10. Choose image file.
12. Burn image.

DiskId 0.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]

wrong.

Good luck,
Slobodan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,
NRB, or NRG?
What version of NERO do you use?

Well do you know how to use hex editor?
Each file longer than 512 bytes have address 1B8, ....

In hex editor you should have at the beginning of each line address, then N bytes represented as 2 hex digits and optionally same
bytes shown as ASCII.
So if line begin as 1B0 then 1B8 would be 9th byte in that line.

Also I have described to you how to do ASCII search since 1B8 is relative offset from beginning of MBR sector and not from beginning
of file.

Look here at how MBR can look when viewed from some hexeditor:
http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwmbr.htm

Regards,
Slobodan

Anthony said:
Hi Slobodan,
file
Thank you very much
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Missing operating system
Nero Boot-Loader

Best regards,
Slobodan

Anthony said:
Hi Slobodan,
ISO image or
Location.
Thank you
Anthony
:

my component.
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:

Post FBA steps:

Troubleshooting:
If you get BSOD 7B when booting from CD it might be related to problem with ntdetect.com in this case you will have to
obtain
fixed

8. Use HEX editor and find MBR sector placed by Nero. Go to 1B8 location (relative offset from MBR) and type 'ELTO' DiskID
on
that
10. Choose image file.
12. Burn image.

DiskId 0.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]

wrong.

Good luck,
Slobodan

G

GregG

A few things:

1) Today I created a good bootable XP/e DVD with 1.5GB boot partition
and 150MB in the read-only "DVD" portion. My Hex Editor breaks at a
2GB ISO file so I scaled things back from 2GB & 2GB. Next thing is to
find a good Hex Editor that can handle very large files.

2) As I said in an earlier post, to find the MBR, I've found searching
for 0x55aa or the string "Nero Boot" will quickly take one to the MBR
after a couple Find Again's. Once you're seen the MBR in a Hex
Editor, one can pick it out pretty readily. The ELTO disk signature
goes at offset 0x1b8 from the MBR start. Again, it becomes mechanical
after a couple times.

3) A useful tool would be one that found the MBR and added the ELTO
disk signature automatically. If anyone writes such a tool, hopefully
they'll post it to www.xpefiles.com or to this group, hint, hint.

4) I'm continuing to have Nero create an ISO image file rather than
it's own format. Even though the Nero format is basically ISO with
small additions, staying with ISO keeps everything a small bit more
"standard".

All in all, I consider this a solved problem. Once again, thanks very
much Slobodan and others.

GregG

my component.
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:

Post FBA steps:

Troubleshooting:

10. Choose image file.
12. Burn image.

DiskId 0.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]

wrong.

Good luck,
Slobodan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

3) A useful tool would be one that found the MBR and added the ELTO
disk signature automatically. If anyone writes such a tool, hopefully
they'll post it to www.xpefiles.com or to this group, hint, hint.

I started writing this tool half-hour ago. Just to relax myself from little heavier things.

Regards,
Slobodan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

You can download ElSigFix.zip from www.xpefiles.com

It will automatically open and trace El-torito information's to find MBR sector, and then it will patch it.
Only thing that you need to do is to provide filename to iso or nrg file.

Best regards,
Slobodan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,

Now I know what you are talking about.

CD-ROM (Boot) Compilation (*.nrb)
This is a project file only.
Please read my topic about how to use Nero to record ISO or NRG image files.
You will need to use recording to file instead of recording to physical device.

Best regards,
Slobodan
PS:
I have posted tool to xpefiles so you won't need to use hexeditor :)

Anthony said:
Hi Slobodan,
file
Thank you very much
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Missing operating system
Nero Boot-Loader

Best regards,
Slobodan

Anthony said:
Hi Slobodan,
ISO image or
Location.
Thank you
Anthony
:

my component.
"Registry Editor"
4. Component "FAT"
5. Component "CDFS"
- Or you can follow:

Post FBA steps:

Troubleshooting:
If you get BSOD 7B when booting from CD it might be related to problem with ntdetect.com in this case you will have to
obtain
fixed

8. Use HEX editor and find MBR sector placed by Nero. Go to 1B8 location (relative offset from MBR) and type 'ELTO' DiskID
on
that
10. Choose image file.
12. Burn image.

DiskId 0.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
[operating systems]

wrong.

Good luck,
Slobodan

G

Hi Slobodan,
I thought may be I did some thing wrong during the El Torito Process? I
got your new ElSigFix.zip and when I ran yours, it seems sucessfully

C:\down load\Eltorito>elsigfix fina1l.iso
EL Torito Image file signature patcher.
Made by Slobodan Brcin

EL TORITO 17==17> 19
Microsoft Corporation , U¬ê♦└♠
MBR begin at sector 23
Prev Disk Signature> 45 4C 54 4F 'ELTO'
MBR patch sucessfull

But when I made a bootable CD, the CD still not boot, I really wonder why? I
already contacted with Microsoft but it looks like you are the only one for
my hope?
Beside that, with your previous suggestions, modified 0x1B8-0x1BB to ELTO
with NRB file (NERO), but the problem still the same. I used Nero 6.0.0.0,
what is your Nero version?

Thanks a lots
Anthony

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,

Are you sure that this ISO file is made by NERO?
It should not say "Microsoft Corporation".
Also previous signature already was 'ELTO', so my patch did nothing since everything was in place.

Please go step by step as I described in main thread, and do not use hd2iso or filed and CD's created by this tool. Create
everything from scratch. empty El-torito disk, Post FBA image, etc.

Best regards,
Slobodan

G

GregG

Anthony,

Here's my procedure which has worked pretty much every time. Hope you
can adjust to your situation. Forgive the length.

Assumption: You're using two drives (one with regular XP and your XP/e
design software; the second is the target device). If you're juggling
partitions on a single disk, specifics change. I'm using the standard
XP Explorer interface so need a fairly large partition even before my
application is added. Also, I'm using the standard EWF components,
not Slobodan's modified component (nothing wrong with it, I just don't
use it).

1) Create 2 primary partitions on target disk; format both as FAT,
make 1st active. Example: both are 600MB but keep the test load on the
2nd small so you can do simple test on CD's not DVD's.
2) Use Target Designer to build image on 1st partition; load read-only
CD portion onto 2nd partition. I set EWF to start disabled.
3) Use Nero to start a bootable CD compilation using 1st partition and
add files from 2nd partition to data part of the compilation.
4) Have Nero create an ISO image file using Image Recorder device.
5) Run Slobodan's tool to set disk signature of ISO file.
6) Restart Nero and burn ISO file to CD; this is your 1st boot CD that
must be present during FBA so Torito.sys can initialize correctly
during the plug & play portion.
7) Shutdown and boot off target disk through FBA. Should reboot
twice. Must have 1st boot CD online.
8) After FBA completes, on target, open cmd window and look at
fbalog.txt in c:\windows\fba; Near the end, you should see it identify
the Nero CD as El Torito and EWF should end with 0 status.
9) Do any other post-FBA steps (keep simple for this test).
10) Prepare target for burning. My steps are: make sure 1st boot CD
is present and seen as El Torito, open cmd and verify EWF is running
and disabled. Use "ewfmgr c: -enable", then "etprep -delete". Start
REGEDT32, go to HLM\System\Mounted Devices, delete all the
"\\??\volume..." entries & the entry for the C: drive. Rename the El
Torito drive entry to be C:. Exit
11) Turn off computer.
12) Reboot off development disk with target back to being data.
13) Repeat steps (3) to (6) except this time you should have the real
thing, a bootable XP/e CD.
14) Try it; good luck & hope your situation is close enough to mine
that these steps make sense to you.

GregG

G

Hi GregG and Slobodan,
Slobodan is right, I missed to burn the ISO by using Image Recodrer
Device, I could not find any Image Recorder Device Option on Nero, my Nero's
verion is 6.0.0.0 I wonder what's your Nero's version? I already order the
lastest Nero version now. Hopefully, it works this time
4) Have Nero create an ISO image file using Image Recorder device.
Anyway, thanks for everythings, you guys are great
Best regards,
Anthony

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,

Nero 5.5.9.0 and 6.3.0.2 both have option accessible from menu Recorder->Choose Recorder
Or press Ctlr+R and when dialog open you will have a list of available recording devices one of them is "Image Recorder".
So your version also must have this option.

Can you find option Recorder in menu bar?

Best regards,
Slobodan

G

Hi Slobodan,
Thank you very much for your help, every seems fine but one more error
message right after XPe OS boot up, the error message is "Windows -Delayed
Write Failed" and its text error "Windows was unable to save all the data for
the C:. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by the failure of
your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
else where", after I pressed OK button, the OS will automatically reboot.
I tried to set the EWF component set the optimization option to 'Use Less
Overlay Space & Less Writes', but the problem is still around
Is there any ideas?
Thanks,
Anthony

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,

You did not activated EWF, or EWF is not working for some reason.
You should configure EWF trough registry only without temporary partition, and make sure that you activate EWF before last shutdown.

Can you describe how did you configured EWF, exactly, and how did you activated it, step by step?

Best regards,
Slobodan

G

Hi Slobodan,
After FBA completed
ewfmgr C: -enable
use regedit to delete all "\\??\volume..."
etprep -delete
reboot
Use Nero to make RNG image
use your utility Elsigfix image.nrg
got message
C:\down load\Eltorito>elsigfix image.nrg
EL Torito Image file signature patcher.
Made by Slobodan Brcin

EL TORITO 17==17> 20
Arnes Boot Record
MBR begin at sector 215
Prev Disk Signature> 45 4C 54 4F 'ELTO'
MBR patch sucessfull

burnt back to CD
and got error message.

Thanks
Anthony

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Anthony,

Like I said EWF is probably not working.
After executing command "etprep -delete" and rebooting your system you can't tell for sure that EWF is working. This is why I do not
use or mention this approach, it is described by MS how you should configure EWF for el-torito.

Anyhow after etprep -delete EWF fall back to registry configuration which might be invalid, you can check this from regedit and
another OS by loading system hive and examining EWF configuration parameters manually.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Ask a Question