John Ski

From: "Maurice" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 9/25/2003 1:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I'd like to put an icon on the desktop that will automate Shutdown when
double-clicked on. Please tell me the steps I must take.
Thank you.

This was thoroughly covered within the last day or so. Please next time do a
Google search or scan the threads to see if your question is already answered.
Here is the procedure: Create a shortcut on your desktop with the following
target, "%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 01". -s says shutdown and -t 01
indicates the delay time in seconds. You may need to increase the delay
depending on what programs are running in the background at shutdown. You can
then browse %windir%\systen32\shell32.dll to find the cool red button icon. BTW
for a restart icon use -r in place of -s.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Maurice

Thanks, but this would create problems. There is a way of putting a regular
icon on the desktop, which you double-click on the normal way and it starts
the shutdown process (which takes about 30 seconds). No special program is
needed. That's the one I would like.

Les Herrman

I'd like to put an icon on the desktop that will automate Shutdown when
double-clicked on. Please tell me the steps I must take.
Thank you.

Got a Sleep button on your keyboard? If so then go into Power options
and set it so that instead of going to sleep it shuts down. Thats
what I did. Now all I have to do is press the sleep button on my
keyboard to shutdown.