Create a button to link an external document to field?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm having some trouble making Access do what I want - I have a fairly lengthy Word document (performance review) that I want to have users save to a network drive and then link to the Skills Assessment database I'm creating.

The form and underlying table are simple - Just a submitter, employee, date, comments, and the OLE field. Where I'm running into trouble is that I need the form to make it easy for the end user to link the .doc into the table.

I've had mild success with a runcommand>insertobject macro, but I don't think that I can select the options I want (create from file, link, display as icon) without hacking together some kind of sendkeys deal, which I want to avoid. Ideally I'd like to have a button on the form that will open a 'find file' dialog that starts in a default directory (something like \\server\skills assessment\reviews\), allows the user to just select the appropriate .doc to link, and links it to the table with the options I mentioned.

Is there any way to get Access to do this, or should I look into another solution?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, I'm not getting a response, so I'm thinking it can't be done - All the information I've found about OLE with Access leads to the same dialog box...

So, here's my next question. I'm totally new to VBA but what I want to do sounds reasonable - Can I pass a string to the clipboard when the button is pressed so that all they have to do is paste the path instead of having to type out the (rather lengthy) network location?

Ask a Question