Crazy overheating, help

Reaction score
Ok,

I have a Q6600 and i installed CoreTemp after my PC was shutting off.

Tested the ram, wasnt that.

Tested the graphics card, wasnt that.

Look at coretemp and i literrally almost passed out, these are the readings :

Core #0 : 118 Degrees
Core #1 : 118 Degrees
Core #2 : 125 Degrees
Core #3 : 122 Degrees

What would you suggest is the problem and how to solve it, most cost effective would be appreciated.

Cheers

LATEST SCREEN :

c0bfa6e692c5.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
LukeDerbyshire said:
Ok,

I have a Q6600 and i installed CoreTemp after my PC was shutting off.

Tested the ram, wasnt that.

Tested the graphics card, wasnt that.

Look at coretemp and i literrally almost passed out, these are the readings :

Core #0 : 118 Degrees
Core #1 : 118 Degrees
Core #2 : 125 Degrees
Core #3 : 122 Degrees

What would you suggest is the problem and how to solve it, most cost effective would be appreciated.

Cheers

LATEST SCREEN :

c0bfa6e692c5.jpg

Are the temps F OR C

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Those readings cannot be right, are the temps in fahrenheit or celcius???

125 degrees fahrenheit is about 52 degrees celcius which is right at load for a Q6600, i have one.

If thats in celcius then its an honest to god miracle that it works that high, you need to set the default settings in the BIOS first and see if you get any changes. If not remove the CPU, remove and reapply the thermal paste, a good one like Arctic Silver 5, then if you are using the stock fan, get a better one, a Freezer 7 Pro is a budget option £15 or a theramlrite 120 is a better option £30.

Edit: We posted at the same time, i see its C.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Or you can buy a socket 775 Pentium 4 on ebay for £5, stick that in and if it frys then you know its the motherboard, either overvolting or one of the controllers has gone.

I think someone recently had a problem with an AMD chip cooking? Might have been someone who likes cats.

Reaction score
thermalright ultra 120 eXtreme + scythe s-flex 1600
currently @ 3.2ghz 1.30V around 45'C load

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Or you can buy a socket 775 Pentium 4 on ebay for £5, stick that in and if it frys then you know its the motherboard, either overvolting or one of the controllers has gone.

I think someone recently had a problem with an AMD chip cooking? Might have been someone who likes cats.

Yep sorted Zalman CNPS8000 AMD AM2 LOADED 40c:p Cheeky bugger;)

Reaction score
Set bios to default only about 5 degree drop,

Ill try and get some thermal paste will that help im using standard fan which came with the pc ( sorry im not too good with pc's )

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay, turn the PC off, and grab hold of the fan and give it a wiggle, it should move about 1-2mm either way at most and thats only the fittings really.

It will have four push fit connectors at either corner you simply turn the top of the connector anti clockwise to get it to release.

Make sure you do opposite corners, so 1 and 3 together then 2 and 4 together.

If you look at the bottom of the heatsink and fan it will have some grey paste on it, is it still soft to touch or gone hard???

Reaction score
Ok i will try this,

Just ran it with abig fan blowing in the case and the degrees have gone down to 58 degrees.

I've just ordered some thermal paste from aria to.

Ill try this now and update you

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Next there will be a metal lever next to the cpu you need to push it down and pul it towards you, this will enable you to lift the tray off the cpu and take the cpu out.

check that who ever built the PC didnt leave any plastic on the CPU or heatsink and fan, it happens.

You need to clean the paste off of the cpu and heatsink and fan (HSF), people have lots of different ideas, personally i hold the cpu by its edges and being careful not to touch the pins underneath use a baby wipe, make sure you have squeezed some of the wet out of it first, then clean the HSF.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Once you have the CPU back in, remebering to line up the triangle on one corner of the cpu with the triangle on the socket, you need to reset the HSF.

If you look at the top you will see a line on each of the corner pins, turn them so they are in the middle pointing out, then pull each pin, it should come out about 5mm.

Then with your paste draw a straight line from left to right with your thermal paste, only a thin line, about as wide as it comes out the tube.

Next place the HSF ontop of the cpu, now remember you took it of with opposite corners??? This is how you put it back on, it will probably take more than 2 or 3 goes and you can put a fair bit of pressure onto it. So push down the pin on corner 1 then 3 then 2 now you might need to push down on the centre of the HSF to get the last pin to click.

Give it a wiggle to check its tight and wallah.

Edit: Or read this http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1215&cid=19&pg=4

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok,

I have just checked the cpu and i couldnt even see the thermal paste ( thank god i ordered some )

I have however just cleaned my fan and the temp's have all gone down to about 54 - 57 degrees, is this right for a Quad ?

Once the thermal paste gets here i will put it on as a precaution

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Good job mate.

On the stock cooler then yeah upto 60C at full load, i.e the CPU is busy at 90% on each core.

I would recommend you get an aftermarket cooler, the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is budget but i had my Q6600 easily at 3.0Ghz with only 50C max.

Reaction score
Ok bud im getting the following :

Core #0 : 57 Degrees ( 5% load )
Core #1 : 56 Degrees ( 2% load )
Core #2 : 54 Degrees ( 6% load )
Core #3 : 56 Degrees ( 2% load )

Is that ok ?

I ordered Arctic Silver thermal paste, is this good ?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Is a bit high mate for those kind of loads, ideally you want 30C as those loads are really the CPU just idling along, like your car at at traffic lights.

Its a big drop anyway, but no thermal paste on it, thats crazy and probably why its so high, plus i'm gonna guess it wasn't on properly either.

Arctic Silver 5 is the best for the price yes.Nearly everyone uses it.

Ask a Question