crazy cursor

Debbie

xp computer SP1, lots of RAM, nvidia gforce card.

My cursor seems to have gone bonkers. When I'm moving the mouse, it
occasionally leaps across the screen, and it even leaps around
sometimes when I'm using the keyboard. It's a fairly recent problem.

Any ideas where to start looking for a solution?

Debbie
Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield
Views expressed in this email are my own and are not
necessarily those of the University of Sheffield or UTU.

Ben McDonald [MSFT]

Is this a laptop? Do you have one of those pencil eraser joysticks? Is your
bios configured to "simultaneous" for mice rather than 'external' or
'internal'?
What kind of mouse do you have, one of the new optical mice? What kind of
mouse pad are you using? Can you borrow a mouse from a friend and see if it
still does it? Did you clean it lately? Did you roll over the cord with
your chair( i hate it when that happens!)
Finally, try updating your video card drivers.

-Ben

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

From: Debbie <[email protected]>
Subject: crazy cursor
xp computer SP1, lots of RAM, nvidia gforce card.

My cursor seems to have gone bonkers. When I'm moving the mouse, it
occasionally leaps across the screen, and it even leaps around
sometimes when I'm using the keyboard. It's a fairly recent problem.

Wendy\(v-2wends\)

"If the computer has been infected for two months, then, on odd days, the
desktop icons are repositioned when the mouse pointer approaches, giving the
impression that the icons are "running away" from the mouse"-Does this sound
like what your mouse does from time to time? if so, then it could be
infected with a virus called
W32.Magistr.24876@mm and you can find more information about it on the
following site:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Debbie

Re cursor jumping around:

Is this a laptop? Do you have one of those pencil eraser joysticks? Is your
bios configured to "simultaneous" for mice rather than 'external' or
'internal'?

Not a laptop. Sorry, I should have said. A laptop is at the top of
my wishlist :)
What kind of mouse do you have, one of the new optical mice?

No, ordinary MS one with a wheel, plugged into PS2 post
What kind of
mouse pad are you using?

A nice one. I don't think it's the pad.
Can you borrow a mouse from a friend and see if it
still does it?

Ah, that I didn't think of. I'll have to raid one of the kids'
machines...husband has a trackball that I can't use.
Did you clean it lately? Did you roll over the cord with
your chair( i hate it when that happens!)

No, the cord goes the other way, down the side of a book case, mainly
to make sure that doesn't happen (been there, done that)
Finally, try updating your video card drivers.

They are up to date - and as this problem is a new one, I'm not sure
why the vid card drivers might be at fault?

--

Debbie
Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield
Views expressed in this email are my own and are not
necessarily those of the University of Sheffield or UTU.

Debbie

"If the computer has been infected for two months, then, on odd days, the
desktop icons are repositioned when the mouse pointer approaches, giving the
impression that the icons are "running away" from the mouse"-Does this sound
like what your mouse does from time to time? if so, then it could be
infected with a virus called
W32.Magistr.24876@mm and you can find more information about it on the
following site:

No, it's not that at all. It's actually the cursor suddenly
disappearing from one part of the screen and reappearing somewhere
else.

And I update my Sophos virus ides daily!

--

Debbie
Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield
Views expressed in this email are my own and are not
necessarily those of the University of Sheffield or UTU.

Debbie

Re cursor jumping around:

I forgot to answer this one - yes, I did clean it - I do it once a
week or so.

--

Debbie
Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield
Views expressed in this email are my own and are not
necessarily those of the University of Sheffield or UTU.

Rob Schneider

Debbie said:
No, it's not that at all. It's actually the cursor suddenly
disappearing from one part of the screen and reappearing somewhere
else.

And I update my Sophos virus ides daily!

Recommend you have Sophos do a full scan of your PC, just as a proactive
measure.

Might also try to check the mouse vendor's web site for info on these
symptoms, or maybe from there get a refreshed driver.

Debbie

Recommend you have Sophos do a full scan of your PC, just as a proactive
measure.

Yes, I did - it was about the first thing I tried. Came up clean.
Not even anything corrupt that might account for it.
Might also try to check the mouse vendor's web site for info on these
symptoms, or maybe from there get a refreshed driver.

I'm now working on the mouse option :)

Thanks to you and all for suggestions.

--

Debbie said:
Yes, I did - it was about the first thing I tried. Came up clean.
Not even anything corrupt that might account for it.

I'm now working on the mouse option :)

Thanks to you and all for suggestions.

Also, try a different mouse. Maybe borrow from someone. They don't
last forever.

Ben McDonald [MSFT]

I'm most curious about the results of testing with a different mouse. We
dont know right know if we have a hardware or a software phenomenon.

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

From: Debbie <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: crazy cursor
No, it's not that at all. It's actually the cursor suddenly
disappearing from one part of the screen and reappearing somewhere
else.

Debbie

I'm most curious about the results of testing with a different mouse. We
dont know right know if we have a hardware or a software phenomenon.

I've not figured it out. I left the fiddling till the weekend,
having odd things like a job to do, and now it seems to have stopped
jumping. Maybe it got tired or something?