crashes and memtest results

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me diagnose my problem :(

I use 2 x 2GB Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz LV RAM
and Gigabyte P55M UD2 motherboard.
and Coolermaster 500W Extreme Power Plus
Other specs not very impt here so I left them out.

1. My desktop (almost brand new) tends to crash during bootup to windows 7. The screen shows 'preparing your desktop' but the desktop doesn't show. instead, a full color screen appears and the system hangs, requiring a hard reset. actually the desktop MIGHT show, but after about 10 seconds the same thing happens.

2. This problem tended to occur when the computer has not been switched on for some time. I.e. if I were to restart, or shut down and on again, it won't happen.

3. On the subsequent bootups, the same problem occasionally occurs, but very seldom. I can't say how seldom, but I know it did happen.

4. I ran memtest, and the results sort of complement the crashes i was having - On a fresh bootup (not switched on for some time), 1 pass can yield more than 17000 errors. The address of

5. But if I restart and run again, maybe after 1 minute, 1 pass would yield between 3 to 10 errors. I never got a clean pass.

6. Someone suggested that I flash my motherboard BIOS. So I did. My previous BIOS was f3 and I flashed it to f5 successfully using the file on the gigabyte website.

7. Running memtests, I have managed to reduce the problems in (5). I can't confirm yet if I will still have intermitten crashes (3). However the problem in (1) and (2) is still there.

To summarize:

f3 BIOS
crashes often on first boot after long time
17000 memtests errors on first boot after long time
intermitten crash after subsequent boot
3-10 memtest errors after subsequent boot

f5 BIOS
crashes often on first boot after long time
17000 memtests errors on first boot after long time
probably no crash after subsequent boot (hard to confirm since it's intermitten)
0 memtest errors after subsequent boot

Does anyone know roughly what I'm dealing with? I'm thinking of sending the PC back to the shop I got it fixed up, but its gonna be hard for them to deal with the problem especially when there seems to be a seperate problem when the PC hasn't been turned on for some time..

I'm suspecting something with the PSU though..

Ask a Question