Crappy MSI customer support

Phisherman

My Northbridge fan on my MSI K8N Neo4 burned up. After reporting this
to MSI, they wanted my serial number on the motherboard to get a
replacement fan. I ran MSI's WMInfo but the one report puts a blank
on the report for the serial number. I guess I would have to take
apart my PC to get the serial number on the underside, if that's where
it is. My plan is to get a Zalman heatsink if I can't find a
replacement fan. These fans are tiny.

km

My Northbridge fan on my MSI K8N Neo4 burned up. After reporting this
to MSI, they wanted my serial number on the motherboard to get a
replacement fan. I ran MSI's WMInfo but the one report puts a blank
on the report for the serial number. I guess I would have to take
apart my PC to get the serial number on the underside, if that's where
it is. My plan is to get a Zalman heatsink if I can't find a
replacement fan. These fans are tiny.

What were you expecting - a replacement part with no questions asked?

km

Phisherman

What were you expecting - a replacement part with no questions asked?

km

No. I was expecting to be treated like a customer. My next mobo
won't be MSI.

johns

It should be on your sales slip. And generally, it
should be on the mobo box the board came in.

johns

John Doe

Phisherman said:
No. I was expecting to be treated like a customer. My next mobo
won't be MSI.

The only information you have provided to us is that you own a
Microstar International mainboard, the chipset fan stopped working,
and that you expect MSI to replace it.

Since you have provided so little information, all I can say is that
you are expecting too much from a manufacturer. You bought from a
distributor and you expect the manufacturer to service you. Their
customers are original equipment manufacturers (OEMs, computer
makers like Dell and Hewlett-Packard) and distributors/retailers,
not end users.

Phisherman

The only information you have provided to us is that you own a
Microstar International mainboard, the chipset fan stopped working,
and that you expect MSI to replace it.

Since you have provided so little information, all I can say is that
you are expecting too much from a manufacturer. You bought from a
distributor and you expect the manufacturer to service you. Their
customers are original equipment manufacturers (OEMs, computer
makers like Dell and Hewlett-Packard) and distributors/retailers,
not end users.

The only information requested but I did not provide is the serial
number of my MSI motherboard. There is a white sticker with a barcode
on the board but that's not it. The MSI website shows where to look.
It was not on the box flap. MSI's software utility was not able to
retrieve it (that part of the report was blank). I don't expect a
free replacement fan and I should not have to disassemble my PC just
to get the serial number. (Why did MSI put the SN sticker on the
underside?). Anyway MSI knows this is a defective fan, but has not
not offered a solution yet. And what does a serial number have
anything to do with the fan? I would gladly send MSI the defective
fan but they have not asked for that. This fan has a silver MSI
sticker on it, but I'm not sure who made it.

John Doe

I don't expect a free replacement fan and I should not have to
disassemble my PC just to get the serial number. (Why did MSI put
the SN sticker on the underside?).

Because they aren't going to send you a replacement fan unless they
know you are technically inclined and skillful enough to open your
computer case.
Anyway MSI knows this is a defective fan,

Says who?

By reading this group, apparently chipset fans are prone to failure.
but has not not offered a solution yet.

If I were you, I would fix it or buy a new mainboard (whatever
brand). Don't you have a techie friend that can open your computer
case?
And what does a serial number have anything to do with the fan?

Mainboard serial number? It could have to do with which fan is on
the chipset.
I would gladly send MSI the defective fan but they have not asked
for that.

I'm surprised they bothered to reply. Find a workaround.

From: Phisherman <noone nobody.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Crappy MSI customer support
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:12:49 GMT
(Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:12:49 GMT)

JAD

John Doe said:
The only information you have provided to us is that you own a
Microstar International mainboard, the chipset fan stopped working,
and that you expect MSI to replace it.

Msi put it on the board, they should fix it. Whos cares about the info
here, its what he gave to MSI directly. If the manufactures weren't allowed
to pass off the expence of warranty and RMAs to the venders, maybe they
wouldn't be making this crap and dropping it on the market. MSI ECS FIC
can't stand those brands. A while back I contacted ASUS about a USB port
problem. ASUS sent me a MB as long as I sent the other board back for
inspection(on thier dime). AOPEN exchanged a MB for me also.

Since you have provided so little information, all I can say is that
you are expecting too much from a manufacturer.

too much to expect that if they need a fan on the chipset to use one of
decent quality?

You bought from a
distributor and you expect the manufacturer to service you.

your point? Manufactures should stand behind their product, instead of
pawning off crap to OEMs or venders..and letting them deal with the end
users.

Their

John Doe

JAD said:
"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

Msi put it on the board, they should fix it.

In your obscure opinion.
Whos cares about the info here,

I can see why you don't, considering so many of your replies don't
even take the information provided into consideration.
If the manufactures weren't allowed to pass off the expence of
warranty and RMAs to the venders,

They wouldn't be manufacturers.
maybe they wouldn't be making this crap and dropping it on the
market. MSI ECS FIC can't stand those brands.

My experience is different. None of my (mostly MSI) mainboards have
failed.
A while back I contacted ASUS about a USB port problem. ASUS sent
me a MB as long as I sent the other board back for inspection(on
thier dime). AOPEN exchanged a MB for me also.

Good for you.
too much to expect that if they need a fan on the chipset to use
one of decent quality?

If you read this group, you might notice it's a common problem. But
you don't read even when you reply.
your point?

Manufacturers typically don't communicate with end users no matter
what the product. Manufacturers deal with OEMs and distributors.
Manufactures should stand behind their product,

They do, it's called a "warranty".
instead of pawning off crap

Maybe you just have bad luck.
to OEMs or venders..and letting them deal with the end users.

Obviously nobody cares about your opinion because that's not how
it's done.

I expect and appreciate manufacturers provide technical information
about their products. Most of the components we buy are incredibly
cheap. You would know that if you've ever bought electronic
components individually.

Some day, manufacturers might deal directly with end users. Maybe
that will be better. But it's typically not the way things are now.

John Doe

An obsessive lying troll

From: "JAD" <JOHN DOE PORN ADDY HARVESTER.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt