cracking Windows NTFS EFS

G

Hello Everyone

I have always thought that a Windows NTFS EFS (for example with 128 bit length encrypted folders (or files) was virtually impossible to crack by anyone (unless fitted with huge amount of computing power, and huge amount of time as well

But I regularly "hear" people telling different methods of recovering encrypted files/folders when having (unfortunately) lost PFX keys (and/or formated and reinstalled their Windows XP OS

These "tips and tricks" are widely spreed over many forums on the internet, and with different tools "downloadable" from the web...

....But then.... where is the truth ? is the Windows NTFS EFS (128 bit or less... or more) really secure ?... or not

thanks for your help

best regard

Alex

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You are "hearing" wrong.

Encrypting File System in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/cryptfs.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hello Everyone,
|
| I have always thought that a Windows NTFS EFS (for example with 128 bit length encrypted folders (or files)
was virtually impossible to crack by anyone (unless fitted with huge amount of computing power, and huge
amount of time as well)
|
| But I regularly "hear" people telling different methods of recovering encrypted files/folders when having
(unfortunately) lost PFX keys (and/or formated and reinstalled their Windows XP OS)
|
| These "tips and tricks" are widely spreed over many forums on the internet, and with different tools
"downloadable" from the web....
|
| ...But then.... where is the truth ? is the Windows NTFS EFS (128 bit or less... or more) really secure ?...
or not ?
|
| thanks for your help
|
| best regards
|
| Alex

Ask a Question