CPU Retention Lug has snapped off!!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Recently when I was playing on the Crysis Sandbox 2 Editor, my computer cut itself off. I tried to reboot after 10 seconds but it cut off on the "Windows XP Professional Loading Bar Screen".
Opening up my computer showed that the Akasa AK-876 Fan was no longer attatched to the CPU or Motherboard. I wondered how it had come off, because a few days ago for my computer cleaning, the fan was firmly secured. After attempting to reattatch the fan with failure, I took my whole computer apart. I unscrewed the Retention Module to find the the lower middle lug has snapped off! Now what can I do? Because this is a socket 939 motherboard I cannot buy another motherboard. Are there anywhere in which I can get a AMD Retention Module that is compatable with socket 939?
Don't really want to use eBay, and don't want a foreign site because I will have to pay tremendous amounts of money for shipping. This means that if the price is in $$$ then the site is no good.
Please help

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Do you need a new heatsink and fan, or just the fan???

Have you got any pictures of what the one you have looks like?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep - a pic would help explain exactly what bit is broken :nod:

Are we talking about the Heatsink retaining bracket on the motherboard - perhaps something like I needed in my thread HERE a while ago?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Opening up my computer showed that the Akasa AK-876 Fan was no longer attatched to the CPU or Motherboard.

Actually i think he might mean the actual socket bracket that you attach a heatsink onto?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thats what I thought - the black plastic retainer bracket like I needed for a skt478 a while ago - I wish folk would stop calling the heatsink a fan, it causes confusion :wall:

Found some over at FrozenCPU in the US - still looking for the UK....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My guess is what Ady's linked to is the thing Mr Sparrow needs.

Now if only we can find a Uk supplier, he'll be in luck.

Just a thought but if the cooler became detached, the CPU may very well be fried.

There's also a clue to this mishap: '...because a few days ago for my computer cleaning...'

It's happened to me before, oh yes it has... ;)

Reaction score
I might have the clip you are looking for see if you can get a picture of what you need.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Deeply sorry that I could not reply for a while, my internet died (STUPID NETGEAR!) but yes it is the black frame around the CPU that holds the fan on, and the "lug" that the fan's clips hook onto has snapped off. I don't know where else I can find one and I REALLY don't want to get a new motherboard and CPU as the budget doesn't allow.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
psd99 said:
I might have the clip you are looking for see if you can get a picture of what you need.
This is what I am looking for:
retention-pers.jpg

It MUST be compatable with socket 939!!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
The only problem is that the bit that screws onto the motherboard is that the screw holes are in the middle, just under the retention lugs.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.frozencpu.com/process

only $7.99

and

USPS Priority Mail International$30.58USPS Express Mail International$35.58FedEx Priority (1-3 days)$60.83FedEx Economy (2-10 days)$56.53

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Scaveng one of a dead board from someone and take the retainer of it. Job sorted.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
The link was dead when i clicked on it, but yes you are right the Zalman would win.

The bracket from ebay should work, it depends on his cooler wether it has 3 holes on each side and only uses 1 or.....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
The link was dead when i clicked on it, but yes you are right the Zalman would win.

The bracket from ebay should work, it depends on his cooler wether it has 3 holes on each side and only uses 1 or.....

He might aswell buy my Zallman then as he would have a spare cooler with fan and a speed rgulator Fan Mate thingy and the bracket and backing plate. All for just a few pennies more and no e-bay hassle.
laughingsmiley.gif

Did I mention that I was a door to door salesman in the past.
happywave.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://www.frozencpu.com/process

only $7.99

and

USPS Priority Mail International$30.58USPS Express Mail International$35.58FedEx Priority (1-3 days)$60.83FedEx Economy (2-10 days)$56.53

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Scaveng one of a dead board from someone and take the retainer of it. Job sorted.
Shipping is OUTRAGOUS! Don't want it, try and find one in the UK. Otherwise my board and processor which are in perfectly good working order ends up on the landfill.

Ask a Question