CPU cooling advice for a noob

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 3 year old very reliable computer with an Athlon xp 2600+ processor in an ATX case. I have starting using "speedfan" software to monitor computer temperatures and it tells me that the CPU is running at between 53-58 C. I would like to do something to reduce the CPU temperature, as this is a bit higher than it should be, but I know next to nothing about fans and computer cooling so I am looking for advice.

I have already got as much much dust as possible out of the case with an aero duster. I would prefer if possible to keep my existing fan and heatsink simply because I get nervous about fiddling with things if I am not sure what I am doing. So would it be possible add a second fan or failing that do something passive cooling, which would help to keep the processor cooler ... say to about 40-45 C?

Many thanks

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
do you have any case fans ? adding a couple of them should drop your temps to a more reasonable level

also whats the ambient room temp like ? and is it near a radiator ? if it is it may be worth trying to move it away form it or turning the radiator off if possible

Reaction score
"do you have any case fans ? adding a couple of them should drop your temps to a more reasonable level"

Yes I have 2 case fans, the processor one runs at about 5600 rpm but on it's own it can't do the job. If I am to fit more fans to my asus A7n8x-vm motherboard then:

1) What kind of fans should I fit? Any recommendations?
2) How do they connect to the motherboard? Dumb question I'm sure but I don't know.
3) Where is the best place to fix them?
4) How do I fix them securely in place?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Do you have any fans on the case itself?
For example one in the back blowing out the hot air, or one in the front blowing in cold air? If you wanted more you need to get the size that will fit your case. :)

Did you get all the air out of the CPU heatsink?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apart from fitting fans to THE CASE (not the motherboard) it may be worth considering a new CPU heatsink/fan combo (commonly referred to together as the CPU cooler).

I'm assuming the processor, because of it's age, is a socket A type.

Socket A coolers are a little thin on the ground now but here's a suggestion:

Gigabyte Cooler

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a socket A motherboard. I have a CPU fan and a fan linked to the power supply (I think). I don’t want to replace the CPU fan because frankly I don’t feel confident enough that I can do it properly.

I like the idea of fitting case fans to reduce the temperature in the case. Can anyone recommend a suitable fan for a micro-atx case? Are they difficult to fit?

"Did you get all the air out of the CPU heatsink?

I’m sorry I am not sure what this means?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You need fans that will fit you case as they come in different sizes. Do you know what the case is or what size fans it takes? Will be 80mm maybe 120mm. :)
Did you get all the air out of the CPU heatsink?
I’m sorry I am not sure what this means?
Sorry my bad thats a typo, i mean did you get all the dust out of the CPU coolers fins?

Reaction score
"You need fans that will fit you case as they come in different sizes. Do you know what the case is or what size fans it takes? Will be 80mm maybe 120mm. "

I have a mini tower micro atx case, I guess either 120mm or 80mm would fit inside. The existing cpu fan though would be about 80mm. Do you have any fan recommendations?

I've cleared out all the dust from the cpu fan, or atleast that which is accessible.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Huggy Bear said:
I have a mini tower micro atx case, I guess either 120mm or 80mm would fit inside. The existing cpu fan though would be about 80mm. Do you have any fan recommendations?

I've cleared out all the dust from the cpu fan, or atleast that which is accessible.
Well it could be either, Get a ruler and measure it corner to corner on the diagonal, you don't have to be exact the rough measurement should be good enough to know what size it is. Hopefully!

Dont worry about the cpu i understand you dont wish to mess with it, but it would help if you ever decided to change it.

Overclockers sell fans here.

Kustom PC's here

Ebuyer here For the sake of cheapness.

Fitting them is dead easy, turn off pc, remove side panel, screw to the case with screws provided (Just make sure its blowing the right way, should be an arrow on it somewhere) connect it to power supply or motherboard fan header (if available and depending on the connection) Tidy wires out of the way, put side panel back on, power up the pc and check the fans blowing the way you want, and that's about it.

:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for that!

I’ve now realised that there is already a 80mm case fan tucked away, so I’ve bought another 80mm case fan which I’ve screwed to the grill at the back of the case. I now have 2 case fans placed one directly in front of the other at the back as unfortunately there is no where else I can place it, which probably isn’t ideal. The computer seems to be running cooler by a couple of degrees which is something.

At least I have learned a something about case cooling, maybe in the future I will be brave enough to tackle the CPU fan.

Many thanks for all the great advice!

Reaction score
Hey Huggy Bear, in attempt to not bore you. Heres a picture of an ideal cooling plan :D

DSC02174.jpg

As you may have guessed this is my PC, and my sucsessfull cooling plan, pretty simple really, cold comes in from two fans at the front, 3 fans kick the air around on the components I want them to, (Graphics card, CPU, PSU) and 5 kick the warm air out the back. (2 at the bottom, 1 at top)

Testimonial: With stock cooling and 2 case fans my processor ran at 59-ish Degrees. Now with the increased air flow etc it runs and 41 Degrees whil overclocked from 2.2Mhz to 2.4Mhz.

your Aim: Get air flow going well. In and out, simple as that

And this is why I recommend changing the CPU cooler, there is plent y of articles on how to do it, heck even people here can help you do that, but don't do it if you're not sure. :) (a good one costs approx 20-30 pounds)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Thermaltke

Cool rig in more than 1 sense, I guess it should be with 8 fans :). Clearly the word on the street is that it's better to change the CPU fan and put in a cpu cooler but after adding another more powerful case fan, the cpu temperature is now around the late 40s C which is well within acceptable limits.

I can see alot of advantages in keeping down the CPU temperature, such as with overclocking, but this Athlon XP2600+ thoroughbred cpu is old and doesn't overclock well. I have a 2nd desktop which is about a year-old which has an Athlon 64 3200+ which is a better prospect for overclocking. I've given it a slight overclock from 2.2 Ghz to 2.27 Ghz, as yet it's still running cool. I haven't experimented with a big overclock but if I do will have to boost the cooling.

Ask a Question