Gaming computer set up advice

Reaction score
Hello guys !

I'm building a high-performance computer for gaming and I need your advices about the setup listed below.
  • Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X
  • CPU fan: be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 3
  • RAM: HyperX Fury Black (4x, 8GB, DDR4-2133, DIMM 288)
  • GC: ASUS GTX Titan X (GM200, 12GB)
  • Storage: Intel SSD 750 Series, NVMe (400GB, PCI-Express)
  • Power supply: Corsair HX850i (850W) - Is it appropriate ?
  • Case: Cooler Master Silencio 652S (Midi Tower, Black)
Click here to see all the config.

I'm worried about the compatibility of the components (this is the first time I build a computer on my own). Do you think that's a nice build ?

I also would like to play games with a 4k screen. Any suggestion regarding a good gaming screen ?

Don't hesitate to comment or suggest improvements :)

Many thanks !

Cheers,
Zenjiro

Last edited by a moderator:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

The above calculator will help you decide if the psu is powerful enough.

There is a good thread here about ssd's which has some information regarding the 750 ssd.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/m-2-ssds-fast-changing-tech-phew.4069390/

Personally I think the Skylake platform is better all round value. I doo not know if you can get faster ram on the X99 platform but it looks a tad slow for the rest of the build. I am putting in DDR4 2800/PC4-22400 in my new build and If I had the loot I would have gone for faster ram.

Hope that helps you out some. :cool:

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian,

Many thanks for your review !
Your link regarding the power supply calculator is truly amazing and was very helpful to check my configuration !

I've taken into account your comment and some of my friends and crafted a improved version of my build. Could you please review it ?
This build is Skylake-based, as you recommend using a i7 6700k. You were right about the RAM speed ! with the Z170 platform, I'm able to use DDR4-3200 now :) I opted for two Samsung SSD of 500GB, it seems they are well ranked and does fit better than the SSD over PCI-e. I've taken a Corsair AX power supply, because I saw several complaints about the HX one. I also changed the case and took one that is more elegant to me. I switched to a GTX 980Ti because the gain between a Titan X was very small.

I also tried to craft a build with SLI (possible extension after several months). In addition of another 980ti, I think I need to replace the power supply by this one in order to provide more energy:
I believe that the two graphic cards can be inserted into the PC case.

Any review would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks !

Cheers,
Zenjiro

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why not just buy a high rated PSU in the first place?

Also 32GB or ram? You will probably never use all of that!!

I have 16GB and never go anywhere near filling it at present

Reaction score
Why not just buy a high rated PSU in the first place?

Also 32GB or ram? You will probably never use all of that!!

I have 16GB and never go anywhere near filling it at present

Hi TriplexDread,

Thanks for your answer.

I primarily chose because I use virtual machines, as I'm going to also use that computer to create software.

Which high-rated PSU would you suggest ? I thought the one I chose was well rated ^^

Cheers,
Zenjiro

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well your first choice of cpu had more grunt but runs hotter and is more power hungry but I recon the Skylake is better for the future even if a tad slower.

The Hero was on my list and it took me forever to make up my mind as the top four all had neat stuff the others did not. It was the ability to use a pci-e slot with a NVME card to full advantage plus the cooling aspect of using a slot that helped me to make up my mind about the Gigabyte.

I still run a seven year old HX and my AX is four years old. Both very quiet and reliable.

Do you really think you will need to SLI in the future ? Saving up for the next Super Single may be a cheaper and more beneficial way to go. It is hard to see how pc tech can improve in any huge way in the next five or so years as things stand. Minor improvements certainly but folk are still doing very well with Intel cpu's six or seven years old that admitedly are at not able to go any further. Tricky call that one.

As to the ssd choice well here is a chart to think over,

hdtach-avg.png

I bought a 951 as the 950 was not on sale at that time. You could raid two 850's and they would still be slower than the 951.
You can raid the M.2 cards but I have no use for speed that fast. I probably would if loot was no problem just for the heck of it.

If I remember right that Asus board has some funky Ram Drive thing which might come in handy for vm's and games. Though you can get software which works on all pc's.

I find it helps to read up and then have a think and then read some more before I splash out.
Good luck and have fun.

:cool:

Reaction score
All depends on budget I guess, however as you plan on running those two monsters in SLI in the future I would suggest something with a little more oomph. They will generate a lot of heat and as such fans will need to remove it all. Go fully modular so you can add or remove cables as and when you need to.

The high end PSUs can run you upto several hundred pounds. However stability in a machine is paramount. Small fluctuations in power can cause all sorts of issues at times.

The PSU you have chosen I have never heard of tbh so I can't comment on it's true reliability. Many here swear by Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake and Coolermaster to name a few.

Have a look at some of these on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st...u+modular&qid=1446437966&sort=price-desc-rank

Ask a Question