Windows XP Could not start windows firewall/internet connection sharing service

Reaction score
First off, i realize that this kind of problem has been post on alot before but, i can't find any information that corrosponds directly to mine (so if this is a repeat i apologize). I too cannot start my windows firewall/ICS service. And get a 7023 error when i check the event viewer.
When i use the services manager to start it i get a message saying that the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service could not be started. Error 8, not enough storage is available to process this command. I searched for sometime last week and actually was able to temporarily fix the problem. I thought i fixed it by Adding the IRPServiceSize? i think and changing it to 15 decimals. But it stoped working again so i upped the decimal and no result. I also did the netsh winsock reset. No avail. But i don't think those worked because i have error 8 instead of xxxxx. (makes sense). Anywho, I can still access the internet but i cannot properly share/connect with my workgroup computers (it is just my computer every other computer can connect that tries.
-I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 XP home SP2.
-Pentium M 1.4 Ghz.
-Geforce 4200go.
-1400 internal duelband wireless card.
-broadcomm 40/100x ethernet
-internal bluetooth.
-McAffe Security Center (just virus scan and firewall).
-Have and run Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal.
Any info and advice would be greatly aprreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there,
try first to reinstall the Lan driver from your dell drivers cd. If this doesn't work, then,
click on start, run:
sfc /scannow

Insert the windows xp cd.
This should fix the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the info i'm scanning now. the problem is for all the connectivty adapters but i will do a reinstall of those tomorow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Reaction score
I did the scan and it didn't come back with anything (not sure what is supposed to happen). I also updated every single network drive and got a diagnostics driver for the network adapters. I don't think the problem is from a specific adapter because i cannot turn it on inside of the services program(?). Any other thoughts or ideas would be highly appreciated.

Reaction score
1st case.

go to start menu, run, type in the following:
Netsh winsock reset
it will run and the command screen will close on its own
-go to: control panel, administrative tools, services:
-scroll to: windows firewall/internet connection sharing and open
-make sure startup type is automatic
Then restart your computer, and you will be all set.

2nd case.

I think you have a virus, try this link.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.prorat.html

http://prorat.net/downloads.php

Waiting for the result. ;-)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have already tried the netsh winsock reset and that didn't work. The virus idea would seem to make sense because there are a couple of other quirks. I have a McAffe subscription program on my comp which i am currently scanning with. Will the McAffe work or do i need to use the symantec one too. Also thanks for the additional info

Reaction score
ok i have the prorat v1.9 fix 2 downloaded. I clicked on the button to remove the prorat server. When i click that it says that there is no prorat server on my computer. Is there something else that i need to perhaps do before it will find and remove the server it self.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone is controlling my computer currently because in the documentation for that lame program it sounded like if i am behind a firewall, a server, or a router they can't access my comp, and i am behind all three. However could any of those things be preventing me from finding the trojan

Reaction score
also i just checked mcafee's website for info on the virus and it said something about that prorat changes registry. so i went in and checked. the site said that it changes <LI>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "Shell"
Explorer.exe %Windir%\system32\fservice.exe but when i got there the value was just explorer.exe without all that other stuff. So hey i'm just throwing these things out trying to give out as much helpful info. Thanks

Ask a Question