corrupted file crashes 2000, but auto repairs in later version

NickBVC

I have a corrupted file that crashes Excel 2000 as soon as
I open it, but it automatically gets repaired in later
versions (which just reports "Removed one or more invalid
formulas."). I'm trying to figure out the pont of the
corruption as it has happened before. I was going to start
by removing sheets and then doing an Open and Repair, but
it doesn't look like I'll be able to do that. Any other
ideas?

Kevin H. Stecyk

NickBVC wrote in message ...
I have a corrupted file that crashes Excel 2000 as soon as
I open it, but it automatically gets repaired in later
versions (which just reports "Removed one or more invalid
formulas."). I'm trying to figure out the pont of the
corruption as it has happened before. I was going to start
by removing sheets and then doing an Open and Repair, but
it doesn't look like I'll be able to do that. Any other
ideas?

Hi Nick,

Your file might be corrupted. Try the following:

- Save the file as filetype webpage (html)
- close and reopen the html file
- save-as normal excel workbook

See if that helps.

Please post back to let us know.

Kevin

NickBVC

Thanks for your note. I understand that the file is
corrupted. The problem is finding out exactly what is
corrupted. Later versions of Excel are automatically
fixing it for me. I need to find the sheet that has the
corruption. Is there anyway to turn off the "automatic
fixing" feature of Excel?

Kevin H. Stecyk

NickBVC wrote
Thanks for your note. I understand that the file is
corrupted. The problem is finding out exactly what is
corrupted. Later versions of Excel are automatically
fixing it for me. I need to find the sheet that has the
corruption. Is there anyway to turn off the "automatic
fixing" feature of Excel?

Nick, to be honest, I don't know the answer to your question about disabling
"auto fixing". And I doubt you will locate the source of your corruption.
All you can do is attempt to clean your file by doing a few measures.

When I have this type of a problem, I try the HTML trick. And I also clean
out my TEMP directory. Have a look here for more information:
http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm

Do you have VBA code in your spreadsheet? If you do, you should "clean your
code" using a code cleaner as listed here:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm .You will often find a
dramatic reduction in the size of your file, sometimes by a factor of 4 or
so.

Those meausures usually solves my problem, over 90% of the time.

Otherwise, I begin rebuilding my spreadsheet. That's a more painful
process. Make sure you don't copy over formats as you might copy over the
corruption as well. I can't recall what you can and cannot copy over.
Perhaps flag Rob Bovey and solicit his advice. I have only had to rebuild
my spreadsheet on two occasions. Most other times, I was able to fix it
using the previously mentioned methods.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Best regards,
Kevin