Correct use of CACLS.EXE (or another tool) on Windows 2003?

D

Dave Harry

I'm migrating from NetWare and I want to assign a gazillion file security permissions from the command line. I found cacls.exe which
mostly does what I want.

When using the GUI, you assign permissions and they automatically inherit down the path, obviously excepting where inheritance is
broken. Since it is not assigned to every folder/file, if one is moved out of the path, the rights no longer apply. This is the
desired behavour.

With CACLS.EXE, it seems that the /T switch assigns permissions individually, all the way down the sub-paths. If the sub file/folder
is moved outside that path, the assigned permissions would follow with it.
Also removing permissions from the top folder with the GUI then does not remove them from the sub folders.

Is there another command line tool I can use to assign AND inherit permissions?

T

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Dave said:
I'm migrating from NetWare and I want to assign a gazillion file security permissions from the command line. I found cacls.exe which
mostly does what I want.

When using the GUI, you assign permissions and they automatically inherit down the path, obviously excepting where inheritance is
broken. Since it is not assigned to every folder/file, if one is moved out of the path, the rights no longer apply. This is the
desired behavour.

With CACLS.EXE, it seems that the /T switch assigns permissions individually, all the way down the sub-paths. If the sub file/folder
is moved outside that path, the assigned permissions would follow with it.
Also removing permissions from the top folder with the GUI then does not remove them from the sub folders.

Is there another command line tool I can use to assign AND inherit permissions?
Hi

xcacls.vbs:

Download details: Extended Change Access Control List Tool (Xcacls)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-0616-473c-b103-c35bc2820bda&displaylang=en

I would think SetACL is able to do this as well:

SetACL.exe (freeware) at
http://setacl.sourceforge.net/

Ask a Question