Copy user profiles / overwriting defalut profile

Lars

The setup of my pc was done from a local admin account. Now i'm going to
join a domain but the new profile is done on basis of "default user".
I tried to copy the 'admin' profile into the 'default' profile (loged on
from a third account with admin prev) doing:

1. Control Panel\System.
2. Click on Advanced System Settings.
3. Click Settings button under the User Profiles section.
4. Click the profile you want to copy.
5. Click Copy to and type in or browse for the profile you want to
overwrite.
6. Click the Permitted to use button and add all user accounts that you want
to give
full control of the profile to.
7. Click Ok.

Vista tells me that there is someting wrong with the new (domainbased)
profile and as a result using a 'temporary' profile.

Instead of coping to 'default' profile i tried to copy to the domain profile
=> no error messages but a complete migration of the conf. is not done
(desktop background, icons etc)

Any suggestions?

Regards

Lars

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Lars,
You need to use use the unattended setting to overwrite the default user
profile.
the Control Panel - System applet should not be used to overwrite the
default user profile.
Download the Windows AIK for the documentation on how to this:
For example:
CopyProfile
Use the following steps to use CopyProfile to set customized user profiles:
Log on as a user whose profile you can customize (for example, the
built-in-administrator account).
Customize the desired user profile settings.
Set CopyProfile to true in the Unattend.xml file that you will use with
Sysprep in the next step.
Run sysprep /generalize unattend:unattend.xml to copy the customized user
profile settings over the default user profile.
All subsequent user accounts that are created will have the customizations
that you have set. For details about Sysprep, see the Sysprep Technical
Reference in the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's
Guide. (Opk.chm).

This setting does not copy the built-in administrator profile unless the
built-in administrator is the currently logged-on user.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Lars" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Copy user profiles / overwriting defalut profile
|> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:30:42 +0100
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> The setup of my pc was done from a local admin account. Now i'm going to
|> join a domain but the new profile is done on basis of "default user".
|> I tried to copy the 'admin' profile into the 'default' profile (loged on
|> from a third account with admin prev) doing:
|>
|> 1. Control Panel\System.
|> 2. Click on Advanced System Settings.
|> 3. Click Settings button under the User Profiles section.
|> 4. Click the profile you want to copy.
|> 5. Click Copy to and type in or browse for the profile you want to
|> overwrite.
|> 6. Click the Permitted to use button and add all user accounts that you
want
|> to give
|> full control of the profile to.
|> 7. Click Ok.
|>
|> Vista tells me that there is someting wrong with the new (domainbased)
|> profile and as a result using a 'temporary' profile.
|>
|> Instead of coping to 'default' profile i tried to copy to the domain
profile
|> => no error messages but a complete migration of the conf. is not done
|> (desktop background, icons etc)
|>
|> Any suggestions?
|>
|> Regards
|>
|> Lars

lars

Darrel,

Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunally i'm only a super user of PCs - not hardcore - so i'm nit able
to floow/implement your advice ;-)

Lars