Cooling questions....

Reaction score
Hi all, as some of you will probably know, I have just installed a new AMD Athlon 64 3500+, on a ASUS A8N-E, its got 2x 512 MB DDR Corsairs finest, a PCI-E 6600GT, all comfortably stuffed into an Enermax case that was on special that I decided to buy. :blush:

Now the system runs really well, only slight niggle is the amout of sound coming from the fans. According to AI booster, my sytem is running a CPU fan speed of 5800rpms cghlling the proceesor to between 38-42, and thats at idle!

Its one noisy bugger, and starting to give me a headache! Am i right in thinking there may be soem issues with the towers cooling?

Should I take it back? Ifso ,can anyone recommend a quiet, and of course cool tower case with atleast 350w.

Cheers

Reaction score
Thanks Mucky, never thought of that one.

I seperated teh CPU and heatsink this morning in order to tke the Asrock Mobo back. Any idea if I may have screwed the "gunk" that sits between the processor and the Heasink?

Surely the fan shouldnt be doing 5800rpm?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you did clean it off and apply some new stuff didn't you ?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
yes it will, you need to have an even spread on the CPU to get good heat transfer, thats probably why its running hot

Reaction score
Just taken the side off the tower. Fans running at a more respectable 3500rpm, CPu temp is back down to 35*C.

Looks like its a case issue.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What is your cooling set up at the moment? How many fans and what are they?

Reaction score
AMD retail heatsink and fan.

Case was suplied with an 8cm chasis fan, this is fitted to teh side I have removed to aid ventilation. Doesnt seem to do alot other than make rather alot of noise.

AS I say sytem runs quietly and at normal temps when the side panel is off and only the CPU fan is working.

Should an Asus A8N-E and AMD 3500+, along with a 6600gt pci-e really need another fan, other than the CPU?

Could it be a faulty case, psu? Shouold a normal midi case need extra fans on this spec?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You got a fan on the back or front of the case?

Reaction score
Neither, side.

Bloody noisy side fan attached to the side of the tower I have removed. Doesnt do much when connected/ attached.

Reaction score
Hmmm your problem is you dont have any air flow its just sitting there...

Trying getting some 120mm fans or 80mm ones u need air flow that your problem it cant get out...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You need at least a fan in the rear, exausting air out the back of the case in my opinion.
Have a look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ They got some good fans.

I got two Vantec Stealths in the front and rear of my case, with a Gigabyte 3D Pro Rocket CPU cooler. Does the job very nicey, and quietly! :)

What does the side fan do? intake or exaust?