Subject: Cookies
From: "peter flint" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/24/2004 11:15 AM Eastern Standard Time

Hi All,

Can someone explain the need for cookies and their
presence. I have just run Adaware and various cookies have
appeared as being suspect.

How can we delete these files?

Peter Flint.

Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Delete Cookies or use any of several
"Washing" programs to selectively delete only the ones you don't want. I use
"Window Washer".

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Dave

cookies are small text files that web sites give to your browser to help it
remember your settings or other information the next time you request
something from that web site. they are harmless, but some people get upset
when they are used to keep track of what pages you have visited so you can
get targetted advertisements or automatically tailored sites... because of
this most of those tools regard them as spyware or adware. note that if you
delete them or prevent them from being saved you may lose access to some web
sites and any customizations made on other sites may be lost. ie has a
delete cookies button under the internet setup options, and the privacy tab
lets you prevent them from being accepted.

p.s. you should also be aware that you will probably be receiving lots of
virus laden mail now that you have used your real email address in a news
group. make sure your virus protection is up to date and don't open any
mail you aren't expecting.

From: (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/24/2004 11:39 AM Eastern Standard Time

The Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Delete
cookies does NOT work for me. Can I download any software
for free that would do the job, also, is there any other
software that you would reccomend for detection and
removal of hijackers etc...I currently use adaware, is
this software sufficient for my needs.

Kind Regards

Peter Flint.
Adaware should be adequate for your needs. It is most important that you check
regularly for updates, once a week or so. It has the ability to remove those
suspect cookies. Just right-click on any one of them in the log and click
"select all" . When you click next they will all go away. BTW, I'm puzzled at
your comment that "remove cookies" doesn't work. What exactly do you mean. I've
never heard of it "not working".

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Ken Blake, MVP

In
Byte said:
Cookies are an inherent byproduct of XP

Not really. Cookies have been around a lot longer than XP has.

They really are website
(URLs) addresses that XP memorizes and uses to get you to that
website fast.

They are more than that. Cookies store information about you as
the user of the web site, for example to customize the web site
to your preferences.

You can and should delete them each time you log off
the Internet.

I don't agree at all. It depends on the cookie, what site it's
for, and what it does. Some can be dangerous, or perhaps even
malicious. But others make your use of the particular site faster
and easier.

MAP

Can someone explain the need for cookies and their
presence. I have just run Adaware and various cookies have
appeared as being suspect.

How can we delete these files?

Peter Flint.
.

Everything you ever wanted to know about cookies but
were afraid to ask.

http://cookiecentral.com/faq/

Tim Slattery

Byte said:
Cookies are an inherent byproduct of XP.

In no way! They are a "byproduct" of web browsing. ALL web browsers
(that I know of) implement cookies, they are not unique to XP or to
any Microsoft product.
They really are website (URLs)
addresses that XP memorizes and uses to get you to that website fast.

They are not URLs. They are tiny bits of data (a database key, maybe)
that a website leaves on your computer.
You can and should delete them each time you log off the Internet.

Only if you want all sites you visit to forget about you. And you
don't want that. You may have suspended a session at some site and
want to renew it later. That site remembers you because it has set a
cookie. You may have visited a site that wanted a bit of information
about you (age, sex, zip code) and doesn't ask you for it again. It
knows you've already answered because it set a cookie.