Excel Convert word into numbers and back

Reaction score
How do we get Excel to recognize each letter in a word and turn them into number? I have read suggestions on how to turn the first or last letter, or just a single letter, into a number but could not find if excel can separate the letters in a word and then convert into numbers. For example Turn "bad" into 214 when a=1, b=2, c=3 and d=4 etc.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :) Interesting question, I'll have to have a think on it. What do you want to happen for letters that have a double digit? ie Z = 26? Do they need to be separately distinguished somehow?

Reaction score
No no, it is sufficient to distinguish each letter even if it is three four digits, I can store them separately. I am looking for an attempt at simple cryptology example, convert a word into numbers and hide the original numbers after converting them into more complex numbers, then decode them back to the original word :)

Reaction score
Thank you for your help Becky, I might choose to do it in MatLab as it probably is easier for me than learning VBA

Ask a Question