convert fat32 to ntfs in win98 to xp upgrade

G

I just upgraded my father's computer from win98 to XP and everything seemed to go fine. It created a backup of win98 on the same C: drive. Is it more advisable to stay with Fat32 in case I need to restore the operating system to win98 since win98 cannot handle ntfs? If I can safely go ahead, given there is only the C: drive, would I enter "convert c: /fs:ntfs /v"? Do I need to specify any kind of cluster size at the same time? Thank you in advance.

G

forgot to add, if I do need to specify a cluster size, how and what size to use? i know just enough to be dangerous...

----- forDad wrote: -----

I just upgraded my father's computer from win98 to XP and everything seemed to go fine. It created a backup of win98 on the same C: drive. Is it more advisable to stay with Fat32 in case I need to restore the operating system to win98 since win98 cannot handle ntfs? If I can safely go ahead, given there is only the C: drive, would I enter "convert c: /fs:ntfs /v"? Do I need to specify any kind of cluster size at the same time? Thank you in advance.

G

Good point,if you converted 98 would be invalid because of the no
supporting ntfs,but who wants 98..To convert go to run,type:cm
In cmd type:CONVERT C: /FS:ntfs

G

thanks!... will convert then. do i need to specify any optimal cluster size and if so, how?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Perform a Disk Cleanup and uninstall Windows 98's
backup file, listed in the Add or Remove Programs
applet in Control Panel, before converting to NTFS.
After the conversion has completed, be sure to defrag
the hard drive.

Please read the following:

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

[Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/