Controlling Access to Internet

I have teenage sons who are up all night on the internet. I need to
automatically turn off the computer at 1:00 a.m. and then turn back on at
8:00 a.m. There are 3 computers in the house networked via lynksys router.

Is there anyway I can shut a computer down at a scheduled time? Assume my
teenage sons are smarter than I . They have their own passwords to protect
access to "their" profiles. Suggestions?

PA Bear

Tell them to turn off their machines by 1:00 AM. If they disobey you, take
away their computer privileges. If they still use them against your wishes,
take away the computers (or the router).

Dave B

Install your own password in each, then shut them down yourself at your
convenience. YOU start them next morning with YOUR password. Been there -
done that. Like PA Bear says, next step - kill the network, remove the
comps if that doesn't work. Don't screw around. Get on this right away.
They have to find out there are other things in life.

BTW, 1:00 am is WAY too late.

Dad B

Ron Bogart

In
Dad said:
I have teenage sons who are up all night on the internet. I need to
automatically turn off the computer at 1:00 a.m. and then turn back
on at 8:00 a.m. There are 3 computers in the house networked via
lynksys router.

Is there anyway I can shut a computer down at a scheduled time?
Assume my teenage sons are smarter than I . They have their own
passwords to protect access to "their" profiles. Suggestions?

My boys would have loved you - 1 am for teenage kids to be hitting the
internet??? Sit them down and discuss the rules - off when I say to be
off - or take the router to bed with you. If they still can't figure it
out - remove their access to the computers unless it is out of their rooms
and under your supervision. In any event - good luck with it.

David Candy

net user test3 * /add /time:M,4AM-5PM

Test3 is the user name and * is a prompt for the password. This allows the user test3 to login only between 4am and 5 pm mondays. Remove /add and the * to do an existing user.

This won't log them out though.

To log them out (while the above stops them logging back in)

type in a Task Scheduler task and set it to run at 1 am.
shutdown -l -f

Then you'll need to password protect your computer itself in the BIOS. See the manual that came with the computer (nothing to do with windows) so they can't change the computer time.. They can of course take the lid off and reset the computer's password. There are special screws and locks that secure this.

David Candy

Specifies the times that users are allowed to use the computer. Time is limited to 1-hour increments. For the day values, you can spell out or use abbreviations (that is, M,T,W,Th,F,Sa,Su). You can use 12-hour or 24-hour notation for hours. If you use 12-hour notation, use AM and PM, or A.M. and P.M. The value all means a user can always log on. A null value (blank) means a user can never log on. Separate day and time with commas, and units of day and time with semicolons (for example, M,4AM-5PM;T,1PM-3PM). Do not use spaces when designating times.

FD

Dad said:
I have teenage sons who are up all night on the internet. I ....snip
.....Suggestions?

How about a low tec idea?? Move the main phone line into your bedroom.
Simply lock the door and put in ear plugs then pull out the bt line ( or
connector leaving the bedside phone on only) when you go to bed.

Also if I may be so bold?? Having been there and got the t-shirt though
thankfully both boys have now bought their own homes - I actually have
spending money now!!. I think 1am is a tad too generous.

Bad tempered mother.

Kelly

Thank you!

/taskbarplus!.htm

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
net user test3 * /add /time:M,4AM-5PM

Test3 is the user name and * is a prompt for the password. This allows the
user test3 to login only between 4am and 5 pm mondays. Remove /add and the *
to do an existing user.

This won't log them out though.

To log them out (while the above stops them logging back in)

type in a Task Scheduler task and set it to run at 1 am.
shutdown -l -f

Then you'll need to password protect your computer itself in the BIOS. See
the manual that came with the computer (nothing to do with windows) so they
can't change the computer time.. They can of course take the lid off and
reset the computer's password. There are special screws and locks that
secure this.

David Candy

I don't think it's fail safe. For instance the scheduled task has to be entered with the user's credentials. If they change their password .... One would haver to set security on the task too.

Tim Slattery

Dad said:
I have teenage sons who are up all night on the internet. I need to
automatically turn off the computer at 1:00 a.m. and then turn back on at
8:00 a.m. There are 3 computers in the house networked via lynksys router.

Is there anyway I can shut a computer down at a scheduled time? Assume my
teenage sons are smarter than I. They have their own passwords to protect
access to "their" profiles. Suggestions?

Here's a low-tech idea: put a simple appliance timer on the router.
These are the things you use to turn your lights off and on when
you're away from home. The timer plugs into the wall socket, and the
appliance (in this case, the router) plugs into the timer. You set it
to turn off the juice at 1am and turn it back on at 8am.

Of course, this depends on the router and timer being someplace the
boys can't get to, and that may be a difficulty.

David Candy

I suppose the point to make to people considering this is that XP is secure only while it's running. The hardware requires physical security to stop people bypassing XP's security.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

David said:
net user test3 * /add /time:M,4AM-5PM

Test3 is the user name and * is a prompt for the password. This
allows the user test3 to login only between 4am and 5 pm mondays.
Remove /add and the * to do an existing user.

This won't log them out though.

To log them out (while the above stops them logging back in)

type in a Task Scheduler task and set it to run at 1 am.
shutdown -l -f
[snip]
Hi

Note that from my own testing, WinXP's builtin shutdown.exe utility is
not able to log off another user than the one user that is defined as
the "task" user. This means that it is pretty useless in this scenario.

It might work better selecting shutdown instead of log off, that I
haven't tested.

Anyway, Psshutdown.exe in SysInternals's free PSTools suite does not
suffer under this limitation and is the tool I recommends to use in
this case.

http://www.sysinternals.com