control panel not responding

S

segoshop

When I click on my control panel, xp goes to the next window, but the
hangs up and stops responding. It does not hang the entire system, bu
to get out of it I must ctrl-alt-del and "end task". Any idea?
Thanks a bunch in advance
-
segosho

G

I have the same problem and posted a message about it recently. Someone was kind enough to reply, but the information they gave did not solve the problem. One stopgap you could try is to switch your control panel to "classic" view. That works for me, even though, like you, when I try "category" view, the control panel freezes and I have to back out by using the task manager.

G

Thanks Leslie. I thought that might work so I already tried it, and now when I click on the control panel, I get a white screen. This is really really maddening isn't it? If I find an answer anywhere, I certainly let you know. MS support pages, as you probably already know, have been no help at all.

G

One more possible temporary expedient. All the MS control panel applets are in your \system32\ folder. Third party ones may be there as well, but, as I understand it, not necessarily. (You can find all of them, no matter where they are, by searching for all files on your system with the extension .cpl.) (There's also an MS KB item that tells you the names of all the MS ones that come with XP.) If you navigate to your \system32\ folder, you may be able to find the particular control panel applet you want. If you then double-click it, it may open.

L

limdp

segoshop said:
Thanks. It worked. Still trying to figure this out though.

? I'm having a similiar issue, the control panel items sometimes
works and sometimes doesn't. I noticed that it also happens when I
try to view networks too. The window displays but is not acting
properly as the indicators of mouseover items is not working. The
window is just hung and won't work. Did you figure this out?

L

limdp

segoshop said:
Thanks. It worked. Still trying to figure this out though.

? I'm having a similiar issue, the control panel items sometimes
works and sometimes doesn't. I noticed that it also happens when I
try to view networks too. The window displays but is not acting
properly as the indicators of mouseover items is not working. The
window is just hung and won't work. Did you figure this out?

Ask a Question