Continuous rebooting on W2000-PC


H

Hedy Keller

On a PC with W2000 I have the following problem:

PC is powered on, BIOS runs without error message, W2000 starts running
up (the bar with the blue rectangles fills to the end) - but then the
PC starts rebooting from the beginning of BIOS, and this goes further
and further, always rebooting. So, the system does not reach the
desktop, from where I might do something.

Also booting with F8 does not work: these many messages appear (drivers
etc.), but thereafter again rebooting, even without a windows screen.

This behaviour began a couple of days ago and I have no idea what it
might be and where to start searching. Maybe a virus, or some hardware
defect?

What can be done?

Greetings + thanks in advance

Hedy Keller
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

DL

When using F8, safe mode did you leave the sys for some minutes?
It can take a while sometimes.
 
H

Hedy Keller

DL said:
When using F8, safe mode did you leave the sys for some minutes?
It can take a while sometimes.

There was no chance to wait, rebooting with BIOS started directly after
the appearance of the driver messages.
Yet another idea?
 
D

DL

Try; Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Startup & Recovery........untick
automatically reboot.
Your sys should then give a BSOD on failure, note the error codes & post
back

Oops, forgot you cannot boot.
Do you have a win2k cd with which you can attempt a repair?

And/or if you know the make of your hd, visit their site and make there
diagnostic floppy
Also www.memtest.org for a memory diagnostics
I assume your hd is detected in the bios
 
H

Hedy Keller

DL said:
Try; Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Startup &
Recovery........untick
automatically reboot.
Your sys should then give a BSOD on failure, note the error codes &
post
back

Oops, forgot you cannot boot.

That's very right!
Do you have a win2k cd with which you can attempt a repair?

Yes, that is what I intend to do. But before I have to save data, I'll
try that with "Knoppix", which is a derivate of Linux running from a
CD.

I shall post the results here. Thank you anyway for your contribution.

Hedy
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gary Chanson

Hedy Keller said:
That's very right!


Yes, that is what I intend to do. But before I have to save data, I'll
try that with "Knoppix", which is a derivate of Linux running from a
CD.

Doing a repair install will not remove your data or installed programs,
but you should have a safe backup anyway.

I boot from a CD containing BartPE (usually with 'The Ultimate Boot CD
for Windows" added on top) for jobs like this. It's tools might even help
locate the problem in your system.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top