contacs

Tomas

I wiped my hard drive clean (because of a corrupt system,
probably due to damage from a virus). I backed up as
much as I could and installed everything. Everything is
working fine except contacts. I suspect my contacts is a
little off kilter. I click on contacts and I have all my
contacts. I can enter and save new data. If I click on
the contacts icon though, I get: (a book) "The address
list could not be displayed. The contacts folder
associated with this address list could not be opened;
it may have been moved or deleted, or you may not hve
permissions. For more information on how to remove this
folder from the outlook address book, see help (bla
bla..)."
The wierd thing is that contacts display under the
contacts tab, but if I want to pull up an address when I
am making a new email, I get the same kind of response.
How is it possible that the contatcs tab can find what I
want but the email and the address book cannot? I guess
they must be two different things. I have a hunch it
might be connected to the fact that my contacts list
first started with Outlook express from Windows 2000.
Outlook uses a different kind of file (but in the past, I
had no trouble using the contacts file.)

Rifleman

Tomas said:
[...]

Try this:

From: "Robert Crayk Outlook MVP"
Subject: Re: "The Address list could not be displayed" error
Date: 06 January 2004 18:34

Go to Tools > Email Accounts > check "View or change existing directories or
address books" > is the Outlook Address Book present > if it is present then
remove it close and restart Outlook and then re-add it > if it isn't present
then add it > close and restart Outlook.

Brian Tillman

Tomas said:
If I click on
the contacts icon though, I get: (a book) "The address
list could not be displayed. The contacts folder
associated with this address list could not be opened;
it may have been moved or deleted, or you may not hve
permissions. For more information on how to remove this
folder from the outlook address book, see help

Try removing the Outlook Address Book service from your profile and
re-adding it. How you do so varies with the version of Outlook you're using
and you decided that information wasn't important enough to post, so I can't
be more specific
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tomas

Well, you are the man. I had amend your directions just
slightly. After deleting, I had to close and then select
add a new directory (instead of view and existing
directory). Sure any idiot, except me would figure that
is what you meant, but since you did not specify a
different route on the second entry I kept trying the
same path. That is what happens when you follow
directions with out using brains. Anyway, it worked.
Thank you.