Connecting Motorola Cable Modem

B

Bob Kulp

I am running Win XP and currently using a USB cable to connect to the cable modem. If I remove the USB cable and connect an Ethernet cable I cannot get a connection. The modem does not show up as a device in Networks Connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

J

JS

Have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard?

JS

I am running Win XP and currently using a USB cable to connect to the cable modem. If I remove the USB cable and connect an Ethernet cable I cannot get a connection. The modem does not show up as a device in Networks Connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

N

Noozer

I am running Win XP and currently using a USB cable to connect to the
cable modem.
If I remove the USB cable and connect an Ethernet cable I cannot get a
connection.
The modem does not show up as a device in Networks Connection. Any help
would be
appreciated.

The modem won't show up in device manager at all as it's not directly
connected to the PC (it goes through your network card).

Our cable modems here remember the last used connection, so if you switch
and the cable company only allows you one IP address, the second connection
won't work.

My suggestion... Power off the cable modem for a while, connect the network
cable and then try it again in the morning.

The ethernet connection should be much better than the USB connection since,
generally, network cards use much less processor power than USB.

G

George Bashore

Try this:
Turn off or pull the plug on modem
Disconnect USB cable
Look in your device manager for the network adapter.
Uninstall network adapter and turn off computer
Connect ethernet cable to network adapter and modem
Power up modem
Turn on computer

Bob

B

Bob Kulp

Thanks for all the advice. I tried all the suggestions w/o getting a connection. I have tried two different cable and two different Ethernet cards. I am going to try another modem, if Comcast will give me one.

Try this:
Disconnect USB cable
Power up modem
Turn on computer

Bob

D

Dick

Most cable modems I have used required a setup CD be run to establish
the network connection. It's not just plug-and-play. When you go
through the setup procedure, the software should ask you what kind of
connection you want to use.

G

George Bashore

Bob
Did the modem work with the USB connection?
In the device manager, are there any problems with the network adapter?
Go to the Internet Options in the control panel and click the connections tab and click LAN settings and put a check mark in Automatically detect settings. Click OK then click Apply. Reboot the modem. I see by your email address, you are using Comcast. I use Comcast also and do not need to run any software to establish a connection.
George

Thanks for all the advice. I tried all the suggestions w/o getting a connection. I have tried two different cable and two different Ethernet cards. I am going to try another modem, if Comcast will give me one.

Try this:
Disconnect USB cable
Power up modem
Turn on computer

Bob

B

Bob Kulp

Thanks for all the suggestions. The problem was a bad modem. Got a new one from Comcast and everything works now.

Bob

Bob

Ask a Question