Connecting Laptop To Network

I need to set up a wireless network. I currently have my desktop computer
connected directly to my cable modem. How can I create a wireless network
leaving this computer directly connected to the cable modem and adding a
wireless router for my laptop. Is it possible to connect the cable modem to
my desktop and to the router?

Jim Macklin

Connect the cable modem to the router and connect the
desktop to the router. Get a WAP (wireless access point)
and connect it to the router also.

some support

|I need to set up a wireless network. I currently have my
desktop computer
| connected directly to my cable modem. How can I create a
wireless network
| leaving this computer directly connected to the cable
modem and adding a
| wireless router for my laptop. Is it possible to connect
the cable modem to
| my desktop and to the router?

GTS

That makes no sense. Get a wireless router. This is a combination of a
Wireless Access Point and wired router. It connects to the cable modem and
has (typically) 4 network jacks for connecting wired computers. To buy a
separate router and WAP would work, but would cost more than twice as much
and have no advantage.

So I connect my router to my cable modem, then I connect my desktop computer
directly to the router? Will this make it so the laptop is connected
wirelessly and the desktop is not? Please correct me if this information is
incorrect.

GTS

That's exactly right!
--

VAL said:
So I connect my router to my cable modem, then I connect my desktop
computer
directly to the router? Will this make it so the laptop is connected
wirelessly and the desktop is not? Please correct me if this information
is
incorrect.

Jim Macklin

The OP indicated he already has a router.

some support

"GTS" <x> wrote in message
| That makes no sense. Get a wireless router. This is a
combination of a
| Wireless Access Point and wired router. It connects to
the cable modem and
| has (typically) 4 network jacks for connecting wired
computers. To buy a
| separate router and WAP would work, but would cost more
than twice as much
| and have no advantage.
| --

in message