Connect an external USB drive to LAN port

Math

Hi all.
Is there any device out there that can make it possible to connect my
extrenal USB drive to my router LAN port?
Eg, some kind of device that "translate" the USB plug to a LAN plug and
coverts the signal so it acts like a LAN external drive?

/Math

Sjouke Burry

Math said:
Hi all.
Is there any device out there that can make it possible to connect my
extrenal USB drive to my router LAN port?
Eg, some kind of device that "translate" the USB plug to a LAN plug and
coverts the signal so it acts like a LAN external drive?

/Math
I have seen at a neighbours home a router
with an additional usb port. You might check
into something like that.
I am not sure what the purpose of that port
was, it might be for computers with usb network
only,in which case it could be the wrong type
of usb port, or it might be configureably.

Math

thanx!!
Connect my external usb-drive to the LAN port on the router, that was what I
was looking for indeed.

/Math

kevd777

Math wrote:
> thanx!!
> Connect my external usb-drive to the LAN port on the router, that was what I
> was looking for indeed.

> "HDRDTD" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
>
> > Here's just one example of a device that would allow you to connect your
> > external USB drives to your network
> > "Sjouke Burry" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Just curious, but why would you want to connect the external USB to the
router?

Thomas Wendell

Or something like this, although it comes with an internal drive too..
Has 2 USB2.0 ports for either an USB printer or additional storage..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822155303

--
Tumppi
=================================

Math

Well, I got two usb external drives, but they are only usb and no LAN
interface, and my router has only LAN interface and no usb, so I just wanted
to be able to connect to my USB drives from my homenetwork, so thats why.

/Math

T Shadow

Math said:
Well, I got two usb external drives, but they are only usb and no LAN
interface, and my router has only LAN interface and no usb, so I just wanted
to be able to connect to my USB drives from my homenetwork, so thats why.

/Math

Last month I bought a WD Netcenter160 for $80 after rebate (compusa.com).
If you look around you may be able to get a better deal on a device like
this than just a router.

Besides it's own 160GB drive it has 2 USB ports. I have another 120GB USB
drive and a printer connected to it. Like USB2 itself it seems slow moving
big files but at least on my small net I'm able to use if for the drive my
HDTV card uses for its DVR function. So it's not too slow. I really like it.

Kev This allows the files and in my case the printer to be accessed from any
computer on the network. Its silent and I leave the Netcenter on all the
time. Has its own power management.