Computers Near Me Icon Missing

W

W. Watson

I just installed W2000 (upgrade from W95) on an Pentium III IBM computer. I plugged
the ethernet cable into the back of it and to the hub. I've installed the network
components and assigned a workgroup and DNS. However, when I view the network, I do
not get the familiar Computers Near Me icon. Any suggestions?
--
Wayne T. Watson (The Wizard of Obz, Nevada City, CA)
(121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet)
-- GMT-8 hr std. time, RJ Rcvr 39° 8' 0" N, 121° 1' 0" W
(Formerly Homo habilis, erectus, heidelbergensis and now sapiens)

"One advantage of being disorderly is that
one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
-A.A. Milne
Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

W

W. Watson

I just recalled that I did not install SP4. That might help. I would have started
from scratch, but I'm unfamiliar with the computer. It was given to me gratis from a
govt. facility. Initially, I couldn't get it to boot from the CD to start a new OS.
If SP doesn't do it, I'll start from scratch.

Chris said:
You're probably comletely jacked Mr. Watson and this install will most likely cause you nothing but pain and misery. I would backup all data, wipe the drive and do a fresh install of Win2k. This may be a solvable problem, but it's been my experience with upgrade issues that starting over from a known state is much easier in the long run.

:

--

-A.A. Milne

S

Steven L Umbach

Upgrades can be buggy to say the least. Make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks
is installed and enabled in the network adapter properties and also check in tcp-ip
properties/advanced/wins that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled. Ipconfig /all will also
show if it is disabled. In Computer Management/services make sure that the following
services are set to automatic and started - workstation, server, tcp/ip netbios
helper, dns client, and dhcp client. Also check in Event Viewer for any pertinent
errors and install the support tools from the install disk under support/tools where
you will have to run setup and run the netdiag utility looking for any failed
tests/errors/warnings which you may get some but others may help pinpoint the
problem. --- Steve

W

W. Watson

Steven said:
Upgrades can be buggy to say the least. Make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks
is installed and enabled in the network adapter properties and also check in tcp-ip
properties/advanced/wins that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled. Ipconfig /all will also
show if it is disabled. In Computer Management/services make sure that the following
services are set to automatic and started - workstation, server, tcp/ip netbios
helper, dns client, and dhcp client. Also check in Event Viewer for any pertinent
errors and install the support tools from the install disk under support/tools where
you will have to run setup and run the netdiag utility looking for any failed
tests/errors/warnings which you may get some but others may help pinpoint the
problem. --- Steve
I re-installed without an upgrade and applied sp4. After a brief tussle, all is well.

--

-A.A. Milne

Ask a Question