Computers lock up when DC down.

Russell

Hi,
My problem is when I take 1 off 2 domain controllers down
my users cannot log on and thos using a mission critcal
SQL app freeze (presumabmly to do with the amount of
pollin that the app does)

This is my setup:

original 1 Domain controller hosting DNS, WINS, and all
other domain functions.I have DHCP clients and a few with
static IP's (it effects both. 1 Forest 1 Domain.

So I promoted a second Domain controller and still had
same problem.

Next I added second DNS server (both running as
Intergrated AD) same problem.

Then I thought ahh GC maybe as they were failing on
authentecation possibly, this also did not solve it.

Now i am running out of ideas. One thing that i have
noticed is when i added my secon dns server i selected
configure and said i already have a DNS server but i get
presencted with the following

'The specified DNS server cannot be contatced to collect
root hints verify that this machine is on and running DNS'

I am pretty sure its DNS issue but dont know what to do
next to resolve it. (someone may suggest wiping my DNS
and starting again) this I am worried about doing due
unforseen consequences.

please help me arrggh

Thanks

David Pharr [MSFT]

If you take one machine down and the users cannot logon then the second DC
may not be fully functional as a DC. You should be pointing to internal
dns servers only. Have both DCs point to the same dns server for name
resolution and test.

The following articles should prove useful to you:
291382 Frequently Asked Questions About Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

237675 Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=237675

298143 How to Verify an Active Directory Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298143

260371 Troubleshooting Common Active Directory Setup Issues in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=260371

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)