Computer WONT stay in Standby!!

Reaction score
So i've got one of these fancy eco-button gadget things. Something about being "green" or "energy efficient" ??

I have the software installed and you press the button and it launches the run command and puts the computer into standby. I have it set to Suspent to RAM as opposed to Power On Standby.

So I do this each night - but I come down in the morning and the computer is on again!!

I thought Oh OK - it's waking on mouse/keyboard movement or Waking on LAN.

Disabled all of these options and thought it would solve it... but nope!

Still waking itself up - I just tested it while I went to Sainsbury's!

*frustrating*

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How long does it take before it comes back online (i.e. does it stay in standby at all)?

Might be worth unplugging the LAN cable and mouse and do a quick test, just to rule them out (even if those options are disabled).

edit, actually, try this :thumb:

Go to Start> Control Panel> Performance & Maintenance> and select "System".

Click the "Hardware" tab and select "Device Manager".\

Go to "Network Adapters" and click the "+" sign. Then right-click the item below it and select "Properties". Under the "Power Management" tab, uncheck the box that says "Allow this device to take the computer out of standby" and the computer will stay in Standby mode when you put it in Standby mode.

Reaction score
Ian,

Thanks for that - sorry I should have been clearer - I disabled Wake on LAN settings in BIOS and in Device manager...

HOWEVER

Your post prompted me to check device manager again and I discovered this:

Picture 1) The setting I had previously disabled - and the one I think your post refers to:

attachment.php

BUT then I found this in the driver settings - I presume it's a similar option, but it was set to "Enabled" which I'm guessing is NOT what I want!

attachment.php

So I'll give that a go...

:) Thanks for the reply

Attachments

• WOL1.jpg
    WOL1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 432
  • WOL2.jpg
    WOL2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 517
Reaction score
I've got exactly the same problem in Vista.

In your BIOS is there some power option that says S1 or S3 or something?

Also in vista do you have any program that runs like a virus scan at a certain time? I disabled my scanner at 12pm. See if that helps and if you come up with something else let me know.

My problem is the computer comes out of hibernation and I can't set it to hibernate after 1 hour or so.

Reaction score
Hi mate,

Yeah - S1 and S3 are Power on Standby and Suspend to RAM I think.

I have the latter.

I have a virus scanner, but that shouldn't bring the PC out of standby.

Reaction score
my AVG does it has an option to bring the pc out of a low power mode to run the scan.

which virus scanner you got then?

Reaction score
cool have you tried that in hibernation mode?

does the same thing happen to you?

Ask a Question