Computer Restarts

Reaction score
Hey all!
I was wondering if someone could help me!
My computer sometimes restarts itself. It first shows a blue screen and restarts followed by scanning the hard drive for consistency. After windows has booted, a message appears saying the computer has recovered from an serious error. This generally happens when i play computer games (gta san andreas) and sometimes occurs when using the computer normally i.e. to surf the net.

My specs are:
Msi-ms6741 motherboard
250 watt psu
1024 mb ddr ram
amd 64 3400+
200gb sata hard drive
ati radeon 9800 256mb ddr graphics

Also please note....i duno if this will help but my mainboards temperature has been recorded as 82ºC...is this too high?

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
I would say your machine is getting too hot - you can add more fans or get anther fan and heat sink for over your CPU

I would consider getting a higher wattage PSU too, 350/400watts at least

My Motherboard is at 42 C

Hope that helps

Cheers

Reaction score
Looking back at my specs, i decided to buy an aerocool case with 550w power supply....would this be ok to solve the problem?? The case comes with 1 X 120mm fan and 3 x 80mm fans.

Attachments

• case.bmp
    68.3 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
sunny112

look at your ram sticks

take them out, blw some air on them and then replace them back into their slots.
u said u have 1gb
if thats one 1 gb then put it into another slot, or if its 2 512mb's put them into another slot

hope it makes sense.
does this only happen on games?
im sure it would happen when playing movies or dvds!

try this it solved my problem. i had when i first posted on pcr!!! :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Also please note....i duno if this will help but my mainboards temperature has been recorded as 82ºC...is this too high

Yeah definitely too high my board runs at 35c and my processor 38c so your board is going to melt much more of those temperatures....your 250watt psu replace, that aerocool case and psu should sort you out and bring your temps down, that particular case has a large fan sucking air in at the front and fans sucking air at the sides so that should give you that wind tunnel effect and cool everything down quite nicely....

Get it done as soon as possible, Psd is right on the memory sticks they can sometimes play up with dirt on the contacts giving blue screens, so when you transfer everything over into the new case just reseat the dims to make sure..

Come back and let us know how you got on.....:D

Reaction score
Neat little Case and make sure you dont have dust all over the lpace lol it conducts heat badly and yes get the case it will help iwht cooling problems Hopefully and i would even put new thermal paste on the Heatsink just in case it can melt off and make it hot...

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
When you get that new case and PSU, you will want to put a fan at the front of the case sucking air in, and a fan at the back blowing air out. Also you might want to re-apply some thermal paste inbetween your CPU and heatsink.

If your using the standard AMD heatsink on your processor, you may want to upgrade to something that cools alot better like the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 .

Reaction score
Heyyyyy again!
I finally got my case (Aerocool AeroEngine Jr) and set it up! However, due to a fault with the case, the front 12cm fan is not working due to a wire touching the fan blades (makes an awful whirring sound when on!) However all other aspects of the case seem fine!

Going back to my original problem, the case (and 250w psu) i originally had was overheating. Thefore i purchased this new case with new psu (550w). However, the mainboard temperature still remains high at 70 degrees celcius! What can be the problem now? Please helpppp!!!!
Cheerz!

Attachments

• Image000.jpg
    Image000.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 209

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Glad to see you got the case but sad you have a problem, having that front sucker not working is really gonna hurt your temps, but 70 is still way too high get that fan problem fixed and then come back to us...

If the machine is running ok and not blue screening and or shutting down then you don't have a problem...

For your information my mobo temperature is 36c and my CPU temperature is 38c and its 29.5c in my room at this exact moment so its bloody hot in here but my temps are still very low....

Make sure the processor is attached firmly to your heatsink with some decent thermal compound...And if after all that its still playing up its probably a faulty thermal probe on the mobo itself in which case i wouldn't worry about it, because the readings won't be true...

Reaction score
Cheers...thanx for the advice
i forgot to mention before but i did swap my ram sticks around and havent seen a blue screen since!
I've contacted thecoolingshop.com and waiting for a response so i can sort out my front fan!
I'll keep you guys updated!
:)

Reaction score
Finally got my case up and running!
Looks nice.....however board temp is 70ºC! Processor temp has been reduced to 33ºC....what can be causing the problem now? i got 1 X 12cm fan and 2x 8cm fans plus the psu has two 8cm fans built in! The computer has stopped crashing but why is it still hot??

Attachments

• Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 199

Ask a Question