Computer restarts while playing games

G

Originally my computer kept crashing repeatedly, even while I was on desktop and no viruses could be detected so I reinstalled windows xp pro. It doesn't crash any time anymore. Now, however, I notice that while I play games the computer will just restart for no reason. I checked under the event viewer and no errors or anything odd is coming up (Or atleast that I think would be necessary to cause concern over). I also unchecked the 'automatic restart' under startup and recovery and it still restarts. It also occurs to me that these problems started(Or atleast appeared to) when a windows automatic update failed and only installed some things, but I'm not sure if this caused the problem. I would undo that install but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

I have Windows XP Professional. AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 2.13 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA Geforce4 4200 with AGP 8x.

M

mb

Mike said:
Originally my computer kept crashing repeatedly, even while I was on
desktop and no viruses could be detected so I reinstalled windows xp pro.
It doesn't crash any time anymore. Now, however, I notice that while I
play games the computer will just restart for no reason. I checked under
the event viewer and no errors or anything odd is coming up (Or atleast
that I think would be necessary to cause concern over). I also unchecked
the 'automatic restart' under startup and recovery and it still restarts.
It also occurs to me that these problems started(Or atleast appeared to)
when a windows automatic update failed and only installed some things, but
I'm not sure if this caused the problem. I would undo that install but I
don't know how. Any suggestions?
I have Windows XP Professional. AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 2.13 GHz, 1.00 GB
of RAM and a NVIDIA Geforce4 4200 with AGP 8x.

Sounds like a hardware problem.
Is the CP getting adequate cooling? Is the power supply up to the job?
Athlons are power hungry (apparently).
Are all the connections good?

G

I don't think it's heat problems(But I'm no computer pro). My bro's comp is the same as mine and he's having heating problems and it just shuts down on his. Mine will restart and it does it even after the comp has been resting for hours. Because I'm no computer pro, in terms of connection, I'm not sure what type of connections you're referring to (Probably something beyond my knowledge). But it restarted while trying to play a game and for the first time, something came up in Event Viewer that was not of hte ordinary. I don't understand a thing of what it means though but here it is:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 12/25/2003
Time: 1:03:24 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0x805366f0, 0xf6002000, 0x00000152). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122503-01.dmp.

Any idea what this means?

Ask a Question