Computer powers on by itself (XP Home)

David Qunt

I have an odd problem which seems to haver started when I firstly enabled
hibernation the other day, then turned it off again.

Now whenever I shut the PC down, it restarts several minutes later. This is
behaviour I would expect to be caused by the Wake-on-LAN feature of my
network card. However I have checked and made sure that this is disabled.

The spec of myu machine is:

Compaq Presario 6740EA
Athlon XP 1800 CPU
256mb DDR RAM
40 gig Maxtor HD partitioned into 3 (C:\ where Windows lives is 10 gigs
with about 3 gigs free)
Win XP Home SP1
NVidia NForce MCP Ethernet Adapter connected to cable modem at 600kbps d/l
and 128 kbps up

Any ideas? This is driving me mental!

--
*********************************
David Qunt

Yves Leclerc

Do you also have a regular dialing modem?? There is also a 'Wake on Ring"
option.

Y.

"David Qunt"

Steve Nielsen

Did you check for a Wake on Ring setting in BIOS? Some boards have that
feature, too, and if you have a modem and the phone line rings it'll
wake the PC up if that's set on. I can't think of anything else at the
moment.

Steve

David Qunt

Steve Nielsen <[email protected]> squirted these
wordjisms deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
Did you check for a Wake on Ring setting in BIOS? Some boards have
that feature, too, and if you have a modem and the phone line rings
it'll wake the PC up if that's set on. I can't think of anything else
at the moment.

Steve

Yep, I went through the BIOS and turned all wake settings off in there
too.

It's strange - I remember when I updated some drivers, or applied SP1
(can't remember which) the wake feature was reactoivated. I managed to
deactivate it then but what I did before hasn't worked - all the relevant
configuration boxes have ticks or no ticks as appropriate.

I have re-enabled hibernation for the moment, as that seems to be the
only way to turn the PC off at the moment :(

--
*********************************
David Qunt

David Qunt

"Yves Leclerc" <[email protected]> squirted these wordjisms
deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
Do you also have a regular dialing modem?? There is also a 'Wake on
Ring" option.

Y.

"David Qunt"
<davidunderscorequnt@removeunderscordebackthereandthisbit.hotmail.com>
wrote in message

Yes I have a phone line modem as well, but I haven't checked the settings
for that yet. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll do that now, but I'm
fairly certain it's not that, because my AV program is set to check for
updates every three hours. That would wake the PC up if that wasn't
already happening after about two minutes after it's been shut off, due I
presume to the cable modem receiving packets.

Plus my phone rang and it didn't wake the PC :)

It's bl00dy annoying....

--
*********************************
David Qunt

David Qunt

David Qunt
<davidunderscorequnt@removeunderscordebackthereandthisbit.hotmail.com>
squirted these wordjisms deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
Steve Nielsen <[email protected]> squirted these
wordjisms deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

Yep, I went through the BIOS and turned all wake settings off in there
too.

It's strange - I remember when I updated some drivers, or applied SP1
(can't remember which) the wake feature was reactoivated. I managed to
deactivate it then but what I did before hasn't worked - all the
relevant configuration boxes have ticks or no ticks as appropriate.

I have re-enabled hibernation for the moment, as that seems to be the
only way to turn the PC off at the moment :(

I know I'm replying to my own post here, but I seem to have resolved
things by re-installing the drivers for the ethernet controller. The PC
shut down and stayed off. Moreover, the 'PC' light is now off when the PC
is shut down, whereas all lights were on and flashing before, as though
the cable modem was transmiting and receiving data even while the PC was
off.

I xcan only assume that some driver corruption occurred when I enabled
hibernation the other day, and the settings I changed were not sticking.

Thanks to Yves and Steve {sounds like a poem, or a hairdressers at least
:)) for their help.

--
David Qunt

Steve Nielsen

David said:
Thanks to Yves and Steve {sounds like a poem, or a hairdressers at least
:)) for their help.

You wouldn't say that if you saw my hair.

You're welcome, glad you sorted it out.