Computer is too loud and big!!

Reaction score
OK,

Now that i have the computer working again, i want to sort out all the annoyences that i am having.

the first is that the case it huge!

Here is what i have to fit into the case:

• GigaByte Motherboard: 30.5 x 24.4 cm
  • Jeantech 500W PSU: [Sorry, i cant find the size] Is there a standard size? (i am not with the pc now)
  • 1xDVD/RW Drive (standard CD Drive size)
  • 1xStandard size Hard Drive (room for 2 would be nice)
  • 1x Standard Floppy Drive
  • 1xInternal card reader (floppy drive size)
Here are some case requirements:

• Small
  • Fit all of above
  • 2x front USB port & mic/headphone
  • Easy-to-access interior
  • Semi-sound proof
  • No side panel or neon's, LED's etc.
  • Horizantal or vertical
Sound problem:

I have a sound problem with my computer, it is loud!

I need, with the new case, a silent "system" fan.

I need it to plug into the motherboard rather than the PSU directly, as i want the fans to turn off when the system is in standby mode.

Please say if you know of a case that will meet all these requirements!

i need a new one. i think my motherboard is bigger than normal, but i am not sure, so i posted the size.

Thanks,

KGB

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you don't mind the colour black, consider the Antec Sonata. It's midi sized, looks great, has a front door to hide your beige drives in a black case and is quiet.

It comes with a 380W Antec PSU so you could sell your Jeantech PSU. It costs around £80.00.

I have one, I fitted a second 120mm fan, and it's quiet. I'm using the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro cooler, which would fit your CPU. You can adjust the fan speed of the Gigabyte cooler as well.

It's well built and would seem to meet all your requirements.

A review: Here

And you can buy it from Here

Reaction score
Thanks Flopps, that does look like a mighty fine case, but it is a tad too big still.

Here is my current case:

Imax_Large.jpg

205 x 480 x 486 mm

I am looking for something without the lights, as they are annoying when i leave the computer on all night, and without the noise (the one you said has both of those things) but i am looking for something smaller

if i cant find one, i may go for your suggestiong floops.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If you don't mind the colour black, consider the Antec Sonata. It's midi sized, looks great, has a front door to hide your beige drives in a black case and is quiet.

It comes with a 380W Antec PSU so you could sell your Jeantech PSU. It costs around £80.00.

I have one, I fitted a second 120mm fan, and it's quiet. I'm using the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro cooler, which would fit your CPU. You can adjust the fan speed of the Gigabyte cooler as well.

It's well built and would seem to meet all your requirements.

A review: Here

And you can buy it from Here

I would agree with Flopps on this. I've built three rigs based on thie Antec Sonata...very good value for money, nice and quiet (120mm fan) and solid build with one of Antec's own PSUs. Very easy to put all your gear together too!:thumb:

Reaction score
u want quiet u want no fans?
look at this:

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/tnn500af.php

very impressive i must say!

now kgb u need quiet fans? or components?

look no further then:
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/p4cooling.php

must admit ive not brought nething from here
but i do have a zalman psu fan dead silent
i was missing these brakets for an amd cpu so i posted on their forums
and the guy kindly sent out to me free of charge the brackets needed and he knew i didnt buy my fan from his site!!

so id say nice to deal with for sure!!!

Reaction score
You can only really get so small, it has to meet ATX spec. :) The Antec Sonata is a grat case from my experience, and IIRC has gromets and 120mm which make it pretty quiet. Of course your fan selections are more important than the case for noise, assuming the case supports your fan selections. :)

I love the Lian-Li's personally. Nothing exceedingly quiet about them, but they're slick, unobtrusive, and cool.

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_C_PC-6X_S_PC-60.htm

Reaction score
PSD, im afraid to say that i really don't like that case! Tikime, it is ok, but i prefer the Antec Sonata.

I will proberly get that case.

What do you reccomend that i do about PSU's?

1) Keep the 500W Jeantech, and sell the one that comes with the case
2) Sell the 500w Jeantech and keep the one that comes with the case

is 380W powerful enough? or would i be better with the 500W?

Thanks all

KGB

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
PSD, im afraid to say that i really don't like that case! Tikime, it is ok, but i prefer the Antec Sonata.

Thanks all

KGB

KGB thats not a case my friend
that is a FULL SYSTEM WITHOUT ANY FANS!!!

juat showing u a full silent pc there!!

i think 380W is good enough for your specs at the minute

is it a silent PSU fan?

i got myself a 20quid silent 380W PSU from maplins its very good i cant remember who the manufactures are but they aint that bad!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Antec is plenty enough power for what you have, I'm using one in one system atm, similar specs to yours.

I'd say the Antec is better quality than the Jeantech, but Jeantech PSU's ain't too shabby either.

If it were me, I'd keep the Antec and sell the Jeantech - or keep it as a spare.

That's a good price on Amazon, especially when you consider you're getting both a quality case and PSU for the money.

Reaction score
I will get this case (and the 9800 Pro) on monday, unless i find either a better case (doubtful) or my computer stops working again.

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I will get this case (and the 9800 Pro) on monday, unless i find either a better case (doubtful) or my computer stops working again.

maybe im looking at the wrong case
but dont u think its boring and dull kgb?

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:

Thanks all

KGB

LOL...I reckon PSD was not entirely serious m8...that case even by itself costs around £800-£900 !! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
maybe im looking at the wrong case
but dont u think its boring and dull kgb?

If you mean the Antec Sonata, well, a case is all a matter of personal taste, isn't it?

If we all liked the same, what a boring old world it would be eh?

I like the Sonata, imo it manages to look a bit posh yet mean at the same time. It has a gloss finish, which is unusual, it's built to a high standard and it's dead easy to fit all your bits into.

The hard drives are mounted on rubber bushes and as they mount sideways, your cables are largely out of site. And the optical drives just slide in and out on runners.

Myself, I don't favour all those flash cases that resemble aliens or a space station or something, all garish colours and flashing lights, but I can see and understand the attraction.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say ;)

Reaction score
PSD, i wasnt talking about your case, i was talking about the Sonata that Flopps suggested. sorry.

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I need it to plug into the motherboard rather than the PSU directly, as i want the fans to turn off when the system is in standby mode.

You can do this any way - just tell your computer to suspend to RAM - it's a non default option in BIOS. I have about 5 80mm fans, all but one are connected by 4 pin molex, and only the CPU fan is hooked to the motherboard. With this option selected, everything turns off, it's like the computers out cold - but a tap of the power switch and windows is on your screen again within 3 seconds.

Sorry if thts been mentioned - havent got time to read the entire thread.

C

Reaction score
No - not hibernation. Thats where the contents of your RAM is stored to your hard drive, then reloaded upon restarting to the last state.

Suspend to RAM (in BIOS power managment options??) is where theres still power to the RAM i think so the data isnt lost - but CPU, HDD's and GFX etc etc are shut down. And your desktop is instantly there when you hit the power button - none of this loading windows kafuffle like with hibernation.

Ask a Question