Computer Hacked

Reaction score
OS = Windows 7
Security = Avira AntiVir Personal.
Connection = BT via BT Router

I'm getting a bit anooid/worried now. LAst week my computer was hacked and links to an unmentionable site were posted in a thread on here and various other sites I visit aswell as links to said site been posted on FAcebook to the majority of my friends.
I have had similar in the past, but put it down to a mate messing about on my PC while I was out the room, as the posts were all quite funny..
Anyway, just been sat watching MotoGPon telly and glanced over at my computer to see that Outlook had been opened aswell as a few other folders on my desktop, and I could see the cursor moving about.
A mate did a bit for me a week or two ago using Remote Desktop, I have checked that and all settings are back to normal. i.e, nobody can connect..
When I used Kaspersky I would get warnings popping up of network intrusion and I was able to check from where the intrusions came from.
Does anybody know if Avira has this facility, as I have not been able to find it ? Any ideas..? Or any ideas of a beter free AV...?

Edit: My SSID is also hidden, and all computers connect to the router via Ethernet Cable

Attachments

• remote.png
    remote.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd wipe it and start from scratch

obviously something on there thats not meant to be and i bet finding it will be a pain and removing it an even bigger one

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Madx,

It's not just anti-virus that you need and do the job for you, you need security software as well. I suggest you hop over to Major Geeks (apparently one of the largest mirror sites for software downloads) Top Freeware Picks and check out some of the software that you will find there. All software on the site is geek tested and safe to download.

I will not suggest anything to you as I believe you are already knowledgeable and can decide for yourself what will work for you and what will not.;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If its wireless hacking (which i doubt) hiding your SSID will do very little as a decent packet sniffer will still find your network. ;)

Im running a free 30 day trial of Eset Smart Security (aka NOD32) on Win 7. No probs here. worth a shot?

TBH, as ME__2001 said, i'd wax it and start over just to be sure.

Reaction score
Hi MadX,
Sorry to hear your pc got hacked. You have advised quite a few people on how to clean their system so i was surprised to hear you had a nasty.
I reckon trend housecall first but i'm sure you know them all.
I personally would try and clean the pc than wipe it cos of all the hard work involved reinstalling all your stuff.
Whatever you do, good luck man.:)

Reaction score
Well hopefully I have no more problems now. Went through the long and slow process of moving a shed load of music to an external drive. Removed the drive and filed it in the bottom draw. Replaced it with 2 ExcelStor 250 gb drives and reinstalled Windows 7 with NOD 32 as mentioned by V_R. Reset router and canged all passwords etc. Will now keep me fingers crossed.

Ask a Question