Comparing text files

Justin Fancy

Hi,

I have two text files and I need to compare them both, and output the
differences to another text file.

I am comparing a server directory and an IIS Log to see which server
files are of no use to the company anymore (outdated, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Justin

Jerold Schulman

Hi,

I have two text files and I need to compare them both, and output the
differences to another text file.

I am comparing a server directory and an IIS Log to see which server
files are of no use to the company anymore (outdated, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Justin

Use the FC command.
See tip 0305 » Windows NT 4.0 has two built in File comparison commands.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
http://www.jsifaq.com

Alexander Suhovey

From: Jerold Schulman [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Monday, October 23, 2006 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: Comparing text files
Hi,

I have two text files and I need to compare them both, and output the
differences to another text file.

I am comparing a server directory and an IIS Log to see which server
files are of no use to the company anymore (outdated, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Justin

Use the FC command.
See tip 0305 > Windows NT 4.0 has two built in File
comparison commands.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

I'm afraid directory tree and IIS logs are so different in content that
using file-comparsion utilities would not result in an easily
interpreted output. A better definition of what OP actually need would
be IMO "How to determine if a set of text files does not contain
particular set of strings"

Alexander Suhovey

Damned, I've sent wrong version again.

@echo off
setlocal
set logs="c:\my_iis_logs_dir"
if exist %logs% (
for /f "delims=" %%i in (www-directory-tree.txt) do (
(findstr /l "%%i" %logs%>nul 2>&1
) || (echo "%%i" not found in logs.)
)
) else (echo Cannot find %logs%)