MS ACCESS 2013 Long Text filed filter by another tables Long text field

Reaction score
Trying to filter Long text string in one table field with text string in different tables field.

A table would be better to input, compare, then replace.

Right now using Replace function that works but will get cumbersome as more text is added:

TYPEDESCRIPTION: IIf(([MaintCodeID]),"",Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace([reli_description],"D: ",""),"Comply with scheduled maintenance code: ",""),"Comply with a ","")," COMPLY WITH CURRENT REVISION OF ","")," Comply with Fan balance on ","")," Comply with EA ",""))

Basically I have a paragraph of text (Long text) that I want to filter with shorter text from another table. I have this working get with short text and joining the table.

However, Access won't let me connect Long Text fields. Tried several workarounds on net but none have worked so far.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
If you want a long string field in a database you have to increase the data length of that field when designing the table. This is a good place to start: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...operties-30AD644F-946C-442E-8BD2-BE067361987C

If you create a string that too long to save in the field then you will receive errors. You would do best to test the length of the string before you save it to the record. If it's too long then truncate it.

Ask a Question