Comodo Personal Firewall

Richard Steinfeld

I want to test Comodo Personal Firewall on a Windows ME system before
installing it on two Windows XP boxes.

Comodo's site says nothing about system requirements. Of course, it's a
given that it'll run under XP. But does anyone know if it will run on a
9x system?

By the way, the Antivir web site has a 7-screen bbs topic about Comodo.
One of the Antivir folks asked Comodo whether the product will remain
free after the first year. Comodo support answered that it would be free
again upon re-registering.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Steinfeld

earlybird said:
there is something very wrong with this "firewall"

Here's a little discussion on it:
http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=102720

Actually, I had read and re-read this discussion on the Wilders site
before posting my question to this newsgroup. My impression was that the
program itself is being developed mostly in tweaking the interface.

Note that it is one of very few firewalls, indeed, that have actually
passed the "tooleaky" test (my Sygate flunked it). This is especially
what flagged my interest in this program.

One thing that's unusual, too, is that personal support is being offered
to us. Now, that's quite a switch considering that my experience with
companies such as Symantec is that once they have my money, they don't
want to know that I exist and expect me to hurl myself against their
"award-winning" web support until I'm worn out. In other words, "Go FAQ
yourself." But from Comodo, I have actually received a helpful answer
from their support.

On yet another board (Avast), there's a discusson about Comodo Firewall,
where a Comodo support person was quoted confirming that free user
status will be renewable after the initial free one-year period.

The only thing that I have found "wrong" so far about this product is
that the description on the site is very inadequate. And I found an
answer to one of my questions about it only via Google, on the
publisher's site, but not linked inside their own firewall "nest."

What isn't clear to me is the publisher's motive: why are they spending
money to develop and support this free product?

Richard

earlybird

Richard Steinfeld said:
What isn't clear to me is the publisher's motive: why are they spending
money to develop and support this free product?

Look to Acrobat, Linux, Google, Rar, Winzip, Antivir and hundreds more
programs wich are also free products.
I don't think a firewall will generate as much money as Google, but why not?

I don't read anything from Comodo support and they have to know that there
is a lot of concern with there firewall.
You are not the first person who likes to promote this firewall; why not
much more promotion from the Comodo developers??

This newsgroup topic is freeware and Comodo isn't freeware; it's free for a
year after registration.
If you look to WallWatcher (WW); that is/was freeware and also has a very
good support. The author of WW let you use WW for free and hasn't any
registration for using his software. Comodo should do the same.

I have no problems with testing there firewall if it was really free; if
there site gives more information and that there support is active in
newsgroups ( firewall related or on GRC ) to defend this firewall much
better then they do now.
Sygate has one very big hole ( localhost ) and that problem should be solved
in there next version. That was before Sygate was taken over and now we know
that there will be never a free Sygate firewall wich have solved this
problem.

Make Comodo real freeware and I will give Comodo a change ASAP; even as beta
tester.

earlybird

Richard Steinfeld said:
[...]

Vrodok the Troll

[-]

Look to Acrobat, Linux, Google, Rar, Winzip, Antivir and hundreds more
programs wich are also free products.
[-]

Since when have Acrobat, Rar, Winzip, etc., etc. been freeware?

David

[-]

Look to Acrobat, Linux, Google, Rar, Winzip, Antivir and hundreds more
programs wich are also free products.
[-]

Since when have Acrobat, Rar, Winzip, etc., etc. been freeware?

Acrobat Reader is freeware.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

Richard Steinfeld

earlybird said:
Look to Acrobat, Linux, Google, Rar, Winzip, Antivir and hundreds more
programs wich are also free products.
I don't think a firewall will generate as much money as Google, but why not?

I don't read anything from Comodo support and they have to know that there
is a lot of concern with there firewall.
You are not the first person who likes to promote this firewall; why not
much more promotion from the Comodo developers??

What gave you the impression that I am "promoting" this product?
This newsgroup topic is freeware and Comodo isn't freeware; it's free for a
year after registration.

Please go back and read what I wrote again. If you wish, you are free to
go directly to the board that I paraphrased, in which a representative
of Comodo stated very clearly that registrations would be renewed, free,
for an additional year after expiration of the initial registration.
If you look to WallWatcher (WW); that is/was freeware and also has a very
good support. The author of WW let you use WW for free and hasn't any
registration for using his software. Comodo should do the same.

Some free products require registration. The publisher is probably using
a module that they developed for their other products.
I have no problems with testing there firewall if it was really free; if
there site gives more information and that there support is active in
newsgroups ( firewall related or on GRC ) to defend this firewall much
better then they do now.

I suspect that you are right in that we would probably fill the role of
beta testers. And it would be nice of the publisher to tell us that.
However, this is as much conjecture on my part as it is on yours (!).
Perhaps one of us should just ask Comodo what their motive is. From the
answer that I received to my email, it seemed to me that the person who
replied has some difficulty with English; and not all of my questions
were answered.

The web site is very inadequate, which is strange for a commercial
publisher like this one, which is located in New Jersey.
Sygate has one very big hole ( localhost ) and that problem should be solved
in there next version. That was before Sygate was taken over and now we know
that there will be never a free Sygate firewall wich have solved this
problem.

I was able to find rather quickly that the free Sygate version has been
withdrawn as completely as Trotsky from photos with Stalin (quick: if
you want it, it's still downloadable from some independent sites). When
it comes to the free version, the problem will never be "solved," however.
Make Comodo real freeware and I will give Comodo a change ASAP; even as beta
tester.

As I've already pointed out here and in my prior post, Comodo is indeed
freeware, at least for the next two years, if their word is to be
trusted. I suspect that the American publisher is agenting in some way
for a developer in another country, where little attention is being paid
to their public image. That foreign developer, who may have crafted an
excellent product, has a real problem communicating in English -- the
result is giving us the impression that we are dealing with amateurs. I
doubt that this is the case because, after all, their product passes the
"tooleaky" test!

By the way, there's no mention of system requirements on their web site;
I mentioned in my post to them that I wanted to try Comodo Firewall on
my Windows ME system before installing it on two Windows XP computers.
The reply included a replacement attachment for one program file as well
as a new registration code -- no explanation was provided. I assumed
that this might be what would make Comodo "go" in Windows 9x, so I ran
the installation .exe file, and was promptly rewarded with a message
telling me that it wouldn't go in anything before NTFS.

And, after all, in my post, I had encouraged them to put the system
requirements on their web site...

Dunno.
I am a bit burned out on testing software, having spent considerable
time test-driving metronome and text editing programs of late. From the
traffic on this forum recently, the only free firewall that I can think
of using is still Sygate.

Richard

David

[...]

Have you tried "SafetyNet" by Net Veda?

http://www.netveda.com/consumer/safetynet.htm

It's free for personal use and works with LANs as well.

"Safety.Net 3.61 offers Internet security, content security and
advanced Internet firewall protection for all your LAN computers, and
trust controls to block unwanted or harmful applications from
accessing the network. You can define granular user or computer
specific access controls based on site, content, PICS ratings and time
of day. You can monitor connection level network activity
round-the-clock and view detailed reports to analyze traffic and usage
patterns."
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

earlybird

Hi Richard
What gave you the impression that I am "promoting" this product?

too possitive for this product ;-) ; no links to verify.
Please go back and read what I wrote again. If you wish, you are free to
go directly to the board that I paraphrased, in which a representative
of Comodo stated very clearly that registrations would be renewed, free,
for an additional year after expiration of the initial registration.

next time a link would be very nice.
Perhaps one of us should just ask Comodo what their motive is.

No, no, no and a lot more no's.
Do I have to beg to test their software? They have to explain it and be
open.
There is more software written that demands (beta) testers; sometimes I like
it to get a little bit crazy and do some testing.
From the
answer that I received to my email, it seemed to me that the person who
replied has some difficulty with English; and not all of my questions
were answered.

and that has to convince me that they are trustfull?
They have to be open and complete in their answers.
I was able to find rather quickly that the free Sygate version has been
withdrawn as completely as Trotsky from photos with Stalin (quick: if
you want it, it's still downloadable from some independent sites).

indeed, the Sygate site still excists but downloading spf isn't possible
anymore.
If you know if it is allowed to offer spf for downloading I will make
spf2710 and spf2808 available for download on a site.
But my site isn't independent; I'm not allowed to offer commercial software
or copyrighted material.
That foreign developer, who may have crafted an
excellent product, has a real problem communicating in English -- the
result is giving us the impression that we are dealing with amateurs. I
doubt that this is the case because, after all, their product passes the
"tooleaky" test!

how to ruin a excellent? product!
And, after all, in my post, I had encouraged them to put the system
requirements on their web site...

that's one of my problems; their public relations is that bad that I don't
trust them.
Maybe it's a better spyware product then Sony's rootkit software.

Follow-up in comp.security.firewalls with your new quest for the Comoda
firewall.

p.s.,
sorry for calling winzip and rar freeware; you could use it without required
registration, but it is shareware.

Susan Bugher

Richard said:
I was able to find rather quickly that the free Sygate version has been
withdrawn as completely as Trotsky from photos with Stalin (quick: if
you want it, it's still downloadable from some independent sites).

Huh?

http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Sygate Personal Firewall "FREE for personal use"

links to this download page:
http://www.simtel.com/product.download.mirrors.php?id=53687

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

comodogroup

Comodo`s Intention is: To provide some free desktop security products
like
Comodo Personal Firewall
Comodo Verification Engine
Comodo I-Vault
Comodo Anti spam
etc etc
you can find them all at
http://www.comodogroup.com/products/free_products.html
The business model is to provide good quality free products to End
Users and charge the businesses for the services we provide.
For example: Verification Engine is a product that verifies web
content, its a free product for the end user, but for people who want
their Content protected they have to pay (a bit like Acrobat model
where the reader is free and they charge for writer). And some
Products, like Personal Firewall we give for free (and will continue to
do so), is to get the Comodo name out there (this product is free to
anyone, business or home user). We have to do something for the end
users for them to recognise us. We choose to give some of our products
free in order to get that recognition.

I hope I was able to clarify Comodo's position. (if not pls ask for
more :) )
About our Programmers: We have R&D facilities in the US, UK, Norway,
India, Ukraine and Turkey. We strive to bring good quality products pls
feel free to make suggestions as to how we can improve ourselves. You
can read about Comodo's background here
http://www.comodogroup.com/corporate/

PS: Thanks for the feedback about the lack of info on the site: We are
going to address it very soon..

COMODO Team

Richard Steinfeld

[...]

You did! It was a relief to read your post and the main site. Somehow, I
never linked to that one before and it provides a good context.

What prospective users still need to know ASAP is which platforms the
Firewall run on(and maybe other products) and the usual information
about requirements, resources, etc. Would you care to give a quick
summary here, now? I, for one, am very interested in trying your product
and I need to know about compatibility first.
About our Programmers: We have R&D facilities in the US, UK, Norway,
India, Ukraine and Turkey. We strive to bring good quality products pls
feel free to make suggestions as to how we can improve ourselves. You
can read about Comodo's background here
http://www.comodogroup.com/corporate/

This explains the strangely-worded reply that I received to a query: not
a native English speaker, and a person who was really trying to communicate.
PS: Thanks for the feedback about the lack of info on the site: We are
going to address it very soon..

Looking forward to it!

Richard

David

You did! It was a relief to read your post and the main site. Somehow, I
never linked to that one before and it provides a good context.

What prospective users still need to know ASAP is which platforms the
Firewall run on(and maybe other products) and the usual information
about requirements, resources, etc. Would you care to give a quick
summary here, now? I, for one, am very interested in trying your product
and I need to know about compatibility first.

This explains the strangely-worded reply that I received to a query: not
a native English speaker, and a person who was really trying to communicate.

Looking forward to it!

Richard

I read the OP and decided to investigate. I went to the site and read
the various pages. No information was given about supported OSs. I
filled in a throwaway e-mail address and download the file.

I checked my e-mail and found one mail from Comodo. It was SPAM and
had nothing to do with the firewall. A few minutes later I received
another two mails. One was an order confirmation, I can live with
that, the other contained the activation code.

I started the setup program after commencing my installation tracking
program. The installation aborted suggesting that my OS, Win98, was
not supported and that I should get in touch with Comodo for the
correct program. It stated that files had been removed and implied
that the aborted installation hade been cleaned up. I finished my
installation tracking and found that many entries had been made to the
registry and several files had been installed and not removed.

In light of these factors I cannot recommend Comodo Personal Firewall
or the ethics and trading practices of the company. I will not be
buying any of their products and recommend that all here do likewise.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

earlybird

a gmail account and talking about security?
You have to know that if you have to turn on JavaScript and cookies for
gmail or any other product you are not secure.
I also don't agree with the gmail privacy policy or write to a gmail
account.
Where are the real comodo accounts, like (e-mail address removed) ?
Still no answers, only promotional talking and links to more promotional
info.

Google : collecting and combining too much data and already knows more about
you than the CIA
My dreams are the only privacy places left.

earlybird

"David" enlightened us in a message:
[...]

WOW, that's what I always thought!
It looks like WIN98SE is still supported, but that the Comodo support has to
send you a special file or program.
Still no download option for a non XP version? Is there a
WIN98(SE)/WINME/WIN95/WINNT version?

If you have to use programs like Filemonitor and Ethereal to really know if
an uninstall works and how much phone home behaviour a program has, well,
that are not my favourites programs ;-).
But for serious testing you have to.
I saved your message for future Comodo questions; this isn't their promo
stuff.