Command prompt "COPY" command not working in brand new Windows Vis

CMD COPY command not working in Vista

I am trying to create an automatic Backup batch file using "COPY" command in
CMD prompt in brand new laptop running Vista; but the operation not working.
Any help please?

Pete

SG

Hi Pete,

Post the contents of your batch file, not the file it's self.

--
All the best,
SG
news:[email protected]...

Bob

Replace COPY with XCOPY.

"CMD "COPY" command not working in Vista" <CMD "COPY" command not working in
news:[email protected]...

CMD COPY command not working in Vista

Hi SG,
Thanks for your reply!
The contents of my batch file is:

PATH C:\; C:\Windows; C:\Windows\System32
COPY C:\Program Files\BioClinic\*.*

Just two simple lines and this batch file was working fine in the old laptop
computer that was running Windows XP. I copied the same batch file to the
brand new DELL latop that came with Windows Vista and NOT working.
Thanks, Pete

Bob

There is no destination given in your file and there's no need for the PATH
command.

Try this:
COPY (or XCOPY) <source> <destination>
Use the "/y" switch to avoid the overwrite prompt.

"CMD "COPY" command not working in Vista"

CMD COPY command not working in Vista

Bob,
Thanks for pointing out my omission!
Actually it is : "COPY C:\Program Files\BioClinic\*.* F:\" ,where the "F:"
being my USB memory stick.

I thought may be the Vista came with no "COPY" command available and was
looking for Vista CD but it was not in the box.

But you have a good suggestion to try with XCOPY and I will do that when I
get to the laptop next time because it's not with me now.
Thanks much, Pete

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Pete

Check out 'Robocopy'. Much more powerful and with many more options.

Robocopy /?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"CMD "COPY" command not working in Vista"